Lagrangian of two masses connected by string on inclined pln

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of two masses attached by a light string of length D. One mass starts at rest on an inclined plane and the other hangs from a pulley. The pulley is frictionless but has a moment of inertia I and radius R. The goal is to find the Lagrangian of the system and determine the acceleration of the masses using it. Two constraints are given: the length of the string is constant and the string moves on the pulley without slipping. The Lagrangian is derived as L = 0.5*m1*(q-dot)2 + 0.5*m2*(q-dot)2 + 0.5*I*(q-dot/R)2 + m*g*(
Elvis 123456789
Two masses, m1 and m2, are attached by a light string of length D. Mass m1 starts at rest on an inclined plane and mass m2 hangs as shown. The pulley is frictionless but has a moment of inertia I and radius R. Find the Lagrangian of the system and determine the acceleration of the masses using the Lagrangian. Though there are three coordinates of interest (along the plane for mass m1, down for mass m2, and an angle for the rotation of the pulley), there are two constraints.

Homework Equations

∂L/∂q - d/dt(∂L/∂(q-dot)2) = 0

L = T - V

The Attempt at a Solution

If I define the x-direction to be in the direction of the inclined plane then

L = 0.5*m1*(x-dot)2 + 0.5*m2*(y-dot)2 + 0.5*I*(phi-dot)2 + m1*g*x*sin(θ) + m*g*y

where φ is the angle that the pulley is rotating through

The length of the string is constant so the length of string on the plane plus the bit on the pulley plus the rest that is hanging holding up m2 is equal to D

so x + R(π/2 + θ) + y = D -----> x-dot = -(y-dot) ≡ q-dot

and the other constraint involves the string moving on the pulley without slipping

y = Rφ ----> y-dot = R(φ-dot) ---> q-dot = R(φ-dot)

then L = 0.5*m1*(q-dot)2 + 0.5*m2*(q-dot)2 + 0.5*I*(q-dot/R)2 + m1*g*q*sin(θ) + m*g*(D - R(π/2 + θ) - q)

i don't know if what i have so far is correct. Anybody care to give me a hand? The setup is shown in the attachment.

Attachments

• hw 7.png
    hw 7.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 605
Physics news on Phys.org
That all looks right, except that you appear to have renamed m2 as m, and it would be simpler to redefine the zero potential of that so that the term becomes simply -m2gq.
Your work would be much easier to read in LaTeX.

Related to Lagrangian of two masses connected by string on inclined pln

1. What is the Lagrangian of two masses connected by a string on an inclined plane?

The Lagrangian is a mathematical function that describes the dynamics of a system. In this case, it describes the motion of two masses connected by a string on an inclined plane, taking into account the forces acting on the masses and the constraints of the system.

2. How is the Lagrangian derived for this system?

The Lagrangian is derived using the principle of least action, which states that the path followed by a system between two points is the one that minimizes the action. The action is defined as the integral of the Lagrangian over time.

3. What are the variables in the Lagrangian for this system?

The variables in the Lagrangian for this system are the positions and velocities of the two masses, as well as the angle of the inclined plane. These variables are used to calculate the kinetic and potential energies of the system.

4. How is the Lagrangian used to find the equations of motion for this system?

The Lagrangian is used to find the equations of motion by applying the Euler-Lagrange equations, which relate the derivatives of the Lagrangian with respect to the variables to the forces and constraints acting on the system. These equations can then be solved to determine the motion of the masses.

5. What are the advantages of using the Lagrangian over other methods for analyzing this system?

The Lagrangian offers a more elegant and efficient way to analyze the dynamics of this system compared to other methods, such as using Newton's laws of motion or energy conservation. It also allows for the inclusion of constraints in the system, such as the string connecting the masses, which may be difficult to account for using other methods.