Lambert's Cosine Law, Computing Diffuse Reflection

In summary, according to Lambert's Cosine Law, when two coordinates are on the same plane, the angle between them is 0° and the dot product of their normalized vectors will be 1. In all other cases, you need to calculate the cosine of the angle between them to get the correct result.
DorumonSg
Lambert's Cosine Law, Computing Diffuse Reflection :

I have 2 coordinates (5, 6, 0) the light source and (2.3, 1.92, 0) the plane. The diffuse coefficient is 0.6 and the light source intensity is 200.

So using the Lambert's Cosine Law,

I need to take 0.6 * 200 * the dot product of the normalized vectors of (5, 6, 0) and (2.3, 1.92, 0) right?

The model solution I have is 0.6 * 200 = 120.

I am wondering is that because both coordinates are on the same (XY) plane such that there is 0 degree difference between the 2 coordinates? So cos 0 is 1?

Is that the case?

If that's the case, does that mean :

Whenever I see any 2 coordinates on the same plan like (X1, 0, Z1), (X2, 0, Z2), I can just use cos 0?

And I only need to calcalate the cos theta if both coordinates are are on different planes?

And also I tried to compute the dot product of (5, 6, 0) and (2.3, 1.92, 0) after normalizing them of course, but I did not get 1?

Physics news on Phys.org
So what am I doing wrong here?The answer is correct, since the two coordinates are on the same plane (XY), the angle between them is 0°. Therefore, the dot product of the normalized vectors will be 1 and the final result of the diffuse reflection will be 120. When the two coordinates are on the same plane, the cosine of the angle between them is 1. In all other cases, you need to calculate the cosine of the angle between them. To calculate the dot product, you need to normalize both vectors first, then multiply them component-wise and take the sum of the products.

Related to Lambert's Cosine Law, Computing Diffuse Reflection

1. What is Lambert's Cosine Law?

Lambert's Cosine Law, also known as the cosine emission law, is a fundamental principle in optics that describes the relationship between the angle of incidence of a light ray and the amount of light reflected off a surface. It states that the radiant intensity of light reflected from a surface is directly proportional to the cosine of the angle of incidence.

2. How does Lambert's Cosine Law apply to computing diffuse reflection?

Lambert's Cosine Law is used to compute the amount of light reflected off a diffuse surface, such as a matte or rough surface. It states that the radiant intensity of light reflected from a surface is proportional to the cosine of the angle of incidence, and this relationship is used to calculate the amount of diffuse reflection based on the incident light and surface properties.

3. Why is Lambert's Cosine Law important in computer graphics?

Lambert's Cosine Law is important in computer graphics because it is an essential principle used in the rendering of 3D images. By accurately simulating the way light reflects off surfaces, it helps create realistic and natural-looking images. It is also a fundamental concept in various lighting models used in computer graphics, such as the Phong reflection model.

4. How is Lambert's Cosine Law related to the concept of albedo?

Albedo is a measure of the diffuse reflectivity of a surface, and it is directly related to Lambert's Cosine Law. The albedo of a surface is essentially the percentage of incident light that is reflected, and this is determined by the angle of incidence and the cosine term in the Lambert's Cosine Law equation. A perfectly diffuse surface with an albedo of 1 reflects all incident light, while a perfectly absorbing surface with an albedo of 0 reflects no light.

5. Are there any limitations to using Lambert's Cosine Law in computer graphics?

While Lambert's Cosine Law is a useful and widely used concept in computer graphics, it has its limitations. For instance, it assumes a perfectly diffuse surface, which is not always the case in the real world. It also does not account for other factors that affect reflection, such as surface roughness, subsurface scattering, and multiple reflections. Therefore, it is often used in conjunction with other lighting models to achieve more accurate and realistic results.