Landau and Lifschitz derivation question

In summary, the conversation is about a Taylor expansion in Landau and Lifschitz Vol. 1 3rd. Ed. The speaker is confused about the notation used for the partial derivative and asks for clarification. The other person explains that Landau's notation is just a shorthand for the speaker's notation and there is no need for further explanation.
HJ Farnsworth
Greetings,

On page 7 of Landau and Lifschitz Vol. 1 3rd. Ed, it says

[itex]L(v'^2)=L(v^2+2\bf{v}\cdot\bf{ε}+\bf{ε}^2)[/itex].

They then Taylor expand in powers of ε, getting (ignoring second order terms and higher)

[itex]L(v'^2)=L(v^2)+\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}2\bf{v}\cdot\bf{ε}[/itex].

The [itex]\frac{\partial L}{\partial v^2}[/itex] confuses me. We effectively have a function of the form

[itex]f(g(x))=f(a+bx+cx^2)[/itex], which, Taylor expanding around [itex]x=0[/itex], would give

[itex]f(a+bx+cx^2)=f(x=0)+\frac{df}{dg}(x=0)\frac{dg}{dx}(x=0)x=\frac{df}{dg}(x=0)bx[/itex].

So, where I have [itex]\frac{df}{dg}(x=0)[/itex], Landau has [itex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial a}[/itex].

How do I go from what I have to what Laundau has?

Thanks.

-HJ Farnsworth

Physics news on Phys.org
Landau's notation is just a short hand for your notation so there isn't any math to explain here.

Related to Landau and Lifschitz derivation question

1. What is the Landau and Lifschitz derivation question?

The Landau and Lifschitz derivation question is a mathematical problem that involves deriving the equations of motion for a system using the variational principle.

2. Who are Landau and Lifschitz?

Landau and Lifschitz are two prominent physicists, Lev Landau and Evgeny Lifshitz, who developed a widely used method for deriving equations of motion in theoretical mechanics.

3. What is the variational principle?

The variational principle is a fundamental concept in physics that states that the actual motion of a system between two points in time is the one that minimizes the action integral, which is a measure of the system's energy.

4. How is the Landau and Lifschitz derivation used in physics?

The Landau and Lifschitz derivation is a powerful tool used in various branches of physics, such as classical mechanics, electrodynamics, and quantum mechanics, to derive equations of motion and other important relationships.

5. Is the Landau and Lifschitz derivation difficult to understand?

The Landau and Lifschitz derivation can be challenging to understand at first, as it involves complex mathematical concepts. However, with proper guidance and practice, it can be comprehended by students and researchers in physics.