Landauer Formula for 1D Transport

In summary, the author provides a general formula for a nanoscopic transport, but the book does not go into detail about how to apply it for a 1D system. The author provides another formula that is more rigorous, assuming the transmission and number of modes of the system remain constant.
carbon9
Hi all,

I have studied the Landauer's formula from the book "Current at the Nanoscale", but a formula made me confused. In the general case, for a nanoscopic transport, the book gives the formula:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/2986/33768834.jpg

In the following paragragraph it is told:

"For 1-D case, (current density has no meaning in 1D, so we replace J with I)"

and then it gives

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/8793/23920600.jpg

From these equations I understand that he used

D(E)=1/(2[tex]\pi[/tex])

for 1D system (I may be wrong!). But in the previous chapters, he gives another function for D(E) in 1D:

http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/734/75994918.jpg

So, what is the point that I'm missing here?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The book is being a little bit sloppy.

First off, he didn't use

D(E) = 1/ 2pi --- which makes no sense at all as you figured out.

The correct formula for density of states in a 1D conductor is given by the formula you secondly gave.

The point you are missing (or the author is failing to describe) is :

The current in a 1D conductor where there's only "one mode" can be written as:

[tex] I = \frac{2e}{h}\int^{ul}_{ur} T ( f^+(E)-f^-(E) )dE[/tex]

and there's no "density of states" term here because it is implicitly included in the "number of modes" term.

A more rigorous way of writing this could've been:

[tex] I = \frac{2e}{h}\int_{ur}^{ul} T(E) M(E) f^+(E)-f^-(E) dE[/tex]
where

[tex] M(E) = v_x D(E) / 2L [/tex]

But I guess the reason the book skips these 'details' is that Landauer gave his formula in the following form:

[tex] I = \frac{2e}{h} M T \int^{ul}_{ur} f^+(E)-f^-(E) dE[/tex]

assuming Tranmission and number of modes are constant within the energy range you are biasing the device.
This becomes the book's formula for M=1.

Thank you very much Sokrates.

Cheers

Related to Landauer Formula for 1D Transport

1. What is the Landauer Formula for 1D Transport?

The Landauer Formula for 1D Transport is a mathematical equation that describes the flow of electric current through a one-dimensional (1D) system. It relates the conductance of the system to the transmission probabilities of electrons through the system.

2. How is the Landauer Formula derived?

The Landauer Formula is derived from the Landauer-Büttiker formalism, which is a theoretical framework for understanding electrical conduction in mesoscopic systems. It takes into account the quantum nature of electrons and their transmission through a 1D system.

3. What is the significance of the Landauer Formula?

The Landauer Formula is important for understanding and predicting the behavior of electronic devices at the nanoscale. It allows scientists to calculate the conductance of a 1D system, which is a crucial factor in determining the performance of nanoscale devices such as transistors and sensors.

4. How does the Landauer Formula relate to the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Landauer Formula is closely related to the Second Law of Thermodynamics, which states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time. The Landauer Formula shows that the minimum amount of energy required to erase one bit of information is directly proportional to the temperature of the system and the natural logarithm of 2.

5. What are some applications of the Landauer Formula?

The Landauer Formula has many practical applications in the field of nanoelectronics and information processing. It is used to design and optimize the performance of electronic devices at the nanoscale, as well as to understand and predict the behavior of quantum systems. It also has implications for the development of new technologies such as quantum computers and spintronics.