Landing a 747 with only friction

• Thread starter armolinasf
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, a problem was presented regarding the stopping distance of a 747 landing with only friction opposing its motion. The solution attempted to use the work energy theorem, resulting in a distance of 409m, which is much shorter than the average landing runway. It was suggested that this answer may be incorrect due to the fact that planes are typically slowed down through a combination of braking and aerodynamic forces rather than solely relying on friction between the tires and ground. Additionally, the coefficient of kinetic friction used may not be accurate for rolling friction, resulting in a potentially lower value for the stopping distance.
armolinasf

Homework Statement

I had this problem floating around in my head and when I worked it out I was a little surprised. A 747 is coming in for a landing and the only force opposing its motion is the force of friction between the ground and its tires how much runway is needed for the plane to come to a complete stop?

landing speed: 270 kph = 75 m/s
coefficient of kinetic friction (f) = .7
mass = 390,000 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply the work energy theorem and solve for distance (d)

.5mv^2=fmgd

d=v^2/(2fg) ==> (75)^2/(.7*9.8)= 409m

This is far shorter than the minimum runway needed to land a 747 and I'm ignoring so many other forces. Could someone provide some insight into why this answer is incorrect (or right?) Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually, planes are not landed with the majority of breaking force coming from the tires skidding. The wheels typically would roughly match the ground speed, and the a plane would be slowed via breaks on the wheels and aerodynamic forces. There are limits to the amounts of mechanical forces it is advisable to put on the landing gear, and how much force the breaks would be able to exert on the wheels, as well as limits for break heating; the landing gear could catch fire if too much breaking is attempted.

Last edited:
Hmm...one possible reason would be that your answer assumes that N = mg immediately upon touching down. It is likely that N is less than mg at the start of the landing due to lift forces.

The coefficient of kinetic friction you used is valid for sliding friction, when the Boeing were sliding on its belly. But it has got wheels and they roll. :smile: Rolling friction is in the range of 0.01.

ehild

I would like to first acknowledge that this is a hypothetical scenario and not something that would realistically occur in an actual landing of a 747. However, for the sake of theoretical discussion, I will provide a response to this content.

Based on the information provided, the solution you have calculated is technically correct. However, it is important to note that the scenario described is highly unrealistic and does not take into account many important factors that would affect the landing of a 747.

Firstly, the coefficient of friction given (0.7) is likely an underestimate for the actual friction between the tires and the ground. In reality, the friction between the tires and the runway would be much higher due to the weight and speed of the aircraft, as well as the type of tires and runway surface. This would result in a shorter stopping distance than what was calculated.

Additionally, the solution does not take into account the aerodynamic drag and lift forces acting on the aircraft during landing. These forces would also contribute to the deceleration of the aircraft and would need to be considered in the calculation of the stopping distance.

Furthermore, the scenario does not account for any braking systems or methods that would be used in a real landing. A 747 has powerful braking systems, including thrust reversers and spoilers, which would greatly aid in reducing the stopping distance.

In conclusion, while the solution calculated may be technically correct, it is not a realistic representation of a 747 landing and does not take into account important factors that would greatly affect the stopping distance. As a scientist, it is important to consider all relevant factors and limitations when conducting calculations and making conclusions.

FAQ: Landing a 747 with only friction

What is the concept behind landing a 747 with only friction?

The concept is based on using the friction between the tires and the runway to slow down and stop the aircraft. This is achieved by using reverse thrust and brakes to reduce the forward momentum of the plane.

Is it possible to land a 747 with only friction?

Yes, it is possible to land a 747 with only friction. However, it is a very risky and difficult maneuver that should only be attempted in emergency situations.

What are the challenges of landing a 747 with only friction?

The main challenge is maintaining control of the aircraft while using reverse thrust and brakes to slow down. This requires precise coordination and skill from the pilot. Additionally, the runway must be long enough to accommodate the longer stopping distance.

Are there any safety precautions taken when landing a 747 with only friction?

Yes, there are several safety precautions that are taken to reduce the risks involved in this maneuver. These include proper training for pilots, regular maintenance of the aircraft's braking system, and having emergency response plans in place.

What are the alternatives to landing a 747 with only friction?

The alternative to landing with only friction is using the aircraft's engine thrust and aerodynamic drag to slow down and land. This is the standard method used for landing commercial aircraft and is much safer and more reliable than relying solely on friction.

Back