Language growth with diffrential equations.

In summary: Sorry, it should be 1.58^n. The rest is right.In summary, there are currently 3300 different human "language families" in the world, which are assumed to have derived from a single original language. It is estimated that a language family develops into 1.58 language families every 5860 years. Using this information, it was determined that the single original human language was spoken approximately 30,000 years ago. However, the constant used in the calculation was incorrect, leading to an incorrect estimate. The correct method is to use the equation L = Ce^(kt), where L is the number of languages, t is time, C is a constant, and k is the growth rate. By
cp255

Homework Statement

There are now about 3300 different human "language families" in the whole world. Assume that all these are derived from a single original language, and that a language family develops into 1.58 language families every 5860 years. About how long ago was the single original human language spoken?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured I could model it with this equation dL/dt = kL where k is a constant equal to 1.58/5860. Solving this equation gives me t = (ln(L) + C) / k.

Then plunging in 3300 at time t=0 gives me C = -ln(3300). Next I plug in L=1 and this gives me a time of 30 thousand years ago. Where am I going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
cp255 said:

Homework Statement

There are now about 3300 different human "language families" in the whole world. Assume that all these are derived from a single original language, and that a language family develops into 1.58 language families every 5860 years. About how long ago was the single original human language spoken?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I figured I could model it with this equation dL/dt = kL where k is a constant equal to 1.58/5860. Solving this equation gives me t = (ln(L) + C) / k.

Then plunging in 3300 at time t=0 gives me C = -ln(3300). Next I plug in L=1 and this gives me a time of 30 thousand years ago. Where am I going wrong?

You are wrong to assume the constant is k=1.58/5860. Why don't you actually try to figure it out instead of assuming?

I thought it made sense since each language is generating a new one at the rate of k languages per year. Therefore the total rate of change would just be the product of L and k.

cp255 said:
I thought it made sense since each language is generating a new one at the rate of k languages per year. Therefore the total rate of change would just be the product of L and k.

That much is correct. It's the value of k that's wrong. The solution to that differential equation is ##L=C e^{kt}##. If you want 1 language at t=0 and 1.58 at t=5860, I don't think you will find k=1.58/5860.

Likes 1 person
Yes but isn't L > 5860 at t = 1 because during the interval 0 < t < 1 other languages would have been generated since the growth is continuous.

cp255 said:
Yes but isn't L > 5860 at t = 1 because during the interval 0 < t < 1 other languages would have been generated since the growth is continuous.
You seem to have L and t swapped there. Did you mean "isn't L > 1.58 at t = 5860"?
Well, yes, it would be if k were 1.58/5860. That's exactly the point Dick is making.
You know ##L = Ce^{kt}## for some C and k; you know L at t = 0; you know L at t = 5860. So calculate C and k.

cp255 said:

Yes, the growth is continuous. But in 5860 years you generate 1.58 languages nonetheless. That's what you given. The k must fit that. k=1.58/5860 is too large. Figure out what it should be.

I will try it. The way I read the question is that each language generates a new one at the rate of 1.58 languages per 5860 years.

cp255 said:
I will try it. The way I read the question is that each language generates a new one at the rate of 1.58 languages per 5860 years.
Not 1.58 additional ones. Each one becomes 1.58 after 5860 years. So after 2930 years each one becomes √1.58, etc. As Dick wrote, if you use k = 1.58/5860 in ekt you'll get too many languages. After 5860 years you'll have e1.58.

I don't know whether this is a exercise math of exponentials or just a crude and practical calculations. If the latter, starting with 1, the number increases by a factor of 1.58 n times to get the number 3300. So work out n that gives you 3300 starting from 1.

Then the time that will have taken is n [itex]\times[/itex] 5860.

Related to Language growth with diffrential equations.

1. What is "Language growth with differential equations"?

Language growth with differential equations is a scientific approach to studying the development of language skills and abilities over time. It uses mathematical models and equations to analyze and predict how language skills change and evolve in individuals or populations.

2. How does this approach differ from traditional methods of studying language growth?

Unlike traditional methods, which often rely on observational data and qualitative analysis, language growth with differential equations uses quantitative data and mathematical models to make predictions and draw conclusions about language development. This allows for a more precise and objective understanding of language growth.

3. What are some key concepts and variables used in language growth with differential equations?

Some key concepts and variables used in this approach include language acquisition, language proficiency, age, and time. These variables are often used in mathematical equations to model and predict how language skills evolve over time.

4. What are the potential benefits of using this approach to studying language growth?

Using differential equations to study language growth can provide valuable insights into the underlying mechanisms and processes involved in language development. It can also help identify factors that may influence language growth, such as age, environment, or individual differences, and inform interventions or strategies for improving language skills.

5. What are the limitations of using differential equations in studying language growth?

One limitation is that this approach may oversimplify the complex nature of language development and may not fully capture the nuances and individual differences in language skills. Additionally, it relies on the availability and accuracy of quantitative data, which may not always be readily available or reliable. Therefore, a combination of approaches may be necessary to gain a comprehensive understanding of language growth.