Laplace transform for differential equation

In summary, using the Laplace transforms, solving for Y(s) from y(0), y'(0), and the initial condition y(0), results in the following: Y(s) = 1/s*1/(s^2+2s+17).
welcomereef

Homework Statement

use laplace transforms to solve the differential equation
y"+2y'+17y = 1

Homework Equations

Initial conditions are
y(0) = 0
y'(0) = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

so it converts to Y(s) (s^2+2s+17) = 1/s
which then ends up as;
Y(s) = 1/s*1/(s^2+2s+17)

i know i need to invert the equation from laplace again but not sure how.

Im not sure if I am on the right track by re-arranging to 1/s((s+1)^2+4^2)?

Still getting used to spotting laplace eqns.
and help would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Perhaps it would be easier to do two simple inverse Laplace transforms instead of one complicated one. Can you break that expression into a sum of two fractions using partial fraction decomposition?

^complete the square
s^2+2s+17=(s+a)^2+b^2
what are a and b?

welcomereef said:

lurflurf said:
^complete the square
s^2+2s+17=(s+a)^2+b^2
what are a and b?
The OP already has that figured out - a = 1 and b = 4

axmls said:
Perhaps it would be easier to do two simple inverse Laplace transforms instead of one complicated one. Can you break that expression into a sum of two fractions using partial fraction decomposition?
@welcomereef, yes you are on the right track. axmls's advice is what I would follow if I were doing this problem.

The equation in latex:

$$Y(s) = \frac{1}{s} \frac{1}{s^2+2s+17}$$

You could always go the good old convolution theorem route:

$$f(t) \star g(t) = \Lagr^{-1} \{F(s)\} \star \Lagr^{-1} \{G(s)\} = \Lagr^{-1}\{F(s) G(s)\}$$

Then simply using the fact that:

$$f(t) \star g(t) = \int_0^t f(t-x) g(x) \space dx$$

You should get the same answer as any other method.

Zondrina said:
The equation in latex:

$$Y(s) = \frac{1}{s} \frac{1}{s^2+2s+17}$$

You could always go the good old convolution theorem route:

$$f(t) \star g(t) = \Lagr^{-1} \{F(s)\} \star \Lagr^{-1} \{G(s)\} = \Lagr^{-1}\{F(s) G(s)\}$$
Do you mean ##\mathcal{L}^{-1}## in your work above?

The OP might not be aware of convolutions at this point. In any case, I think that decomposing the fraction above is quite a bit simpler.
Zondrina said:
Then simply using the fact that:

$$f(t) \star g(t) = \int_0^t f(t-x) g(x) \space dx$$

You should get the same answer as any other method.

Mark44 said:

The OP might not be aware of convolutions at this point. In any case, I think that decomposing the fraction above is quite a bit simpler.

Yes indeed I did. For some reason \Lagr was displaying properly yesterday, but not today by the looks of it. Guess I have to go with \mathcal{L}.

I was also demonstrating there's more than one way to skin this problem, albeit a bit more tedious. I just thought it to be interesting.

welcomereef said:

Homework Statement

y"+2y'+17y = 1

Homework Equations

Initial conditions are
y(0) = 0
y'(0) = 0

which then ends up as;
Y(s) = 1/s*1/(s^2+2s+17)

Still getting used to spotting laplace eqns.
and help would be much appreciated.

Do a partial fraction expansion of Y(s), just the way you would do it if you were integrating instead of inverting.
Mark44 said:

He can also use the standard result (found in many Laplace transform tables) that
[tex] f(t)\: \leftrightarrow\: F(s) \; \Longrightarrow \; \int_0^t f(\tau) \, d \tau \: \leftrightarrow \frac{F(s)}{s} [/tex]

Of course, this follows right away from the "convolution" result, but does not require it, and maybe is even known before one has ever heard of convolution. It also follows more-or-less directly from
[tex] g(t)\: \leftrightarrow \: G(s) \:\Longrightarrow \: g'(t) \: \leftrightarrow \: s G(s) - g(0+),[/tex]
just by setting ##g(t) = \int_0^t f(\tau) \, d \tau##.

Last edited:
welcomereef said:

Homework Statement

y"+2y'+17y = 1

Homework Equations

Initial conditions are
y(0) = 0
y'(0) = 0

which then ends up as;
Y(s) = 1/s*1/(s^2+2s+17)

Yes you are.
Use two theorems:
1. If g(t) ↔ G(s), then G(s+a) ↔ e-atg(t).
That gives you a very simple G(s+a) = 1/((s+1)^2+4^2) to invert.
So now Y(s) = G(s+a)/s.
Then, to take care of the s, consider
If f(t) ↔ F(s), then
(1/s)F(s) ↔ ∫f(t')dt' with limits 0 and t.

FAQ: Laplace transform for differential equation

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that is used to convert a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is commonly used in engineering and physics to simplify differential equations and solve them using algebraic methods.

2. How does the Laplace transform help in solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform allows us to convert a differential equation into an algebraic equation, which is easier to solve. It also helps in finding the solution of a differential equation for a wide range of initial conditions.

3. What are the benefits of using Laplace transform in solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform has many benefits, including simplifying complex differential equations, providing a systematic method for solving them, and allowing for the inclusion of initial conditions in the solution. It also helps in solving differential equations with variable coefficients.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace transform for differential equations?

While the Laplace transform is a powerful tool for solving differential equations, it does have some limitations. It is not suitable for solving equations with discontinuous functions or those with non-unique solutions. It also requires knowledge of complex algebra to solve problems.

5. Can Laplace transform be used in real-world applications?

Yes, the Laplace transform has many real-world applications. It is commonly used in electrical engineering, control systems, heat transfer, and other fields to solve differential equations and analyze systems. It is also used in signal processing to filter out noise and analyze signals.

Back