Laplace Transform - How was it created?

In summary, Laplace realized that if you take the derivative of a function at a point, then you can simplify the equation by replacing the derivatives with their integrals. To do this, he came up with the Laplace Transform. This transform is used all the time to simplify equations.
Vargas
The well know Laplace Transform, that is :

int (e^(st)f(t)) dt
0->00

was really reated by Laplace or other person ?

And how he concluded that ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the Laplace transform was really developed by Laplace. As for how "how he concluded that ?", concluded what?

More about Laplace

Dear friend,
The problem started qhen I read this:
Laplace Transform
Thu, 4 Jul 1996 00:45:29 -0400
Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
At Wed, 26 Jun 1996 00:49:25 -0400 Sherman Stein asked:

Did Laplace invent the Laplace transform? Why? I mean "what ma-de him think of it?" Is there a historical introduction to it and similar
transforms?
------------------------------------------------------------------------
and at Thu, 27 Jun 1996 21:12:57 -0400 Mike Deakin answered:
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laplace did not invent the Laplace Transform; Euler did.

This seems very impressive to me!
When did Euler introduce -I dislike the word "invent"- what we now call the *Laplace Transform*? Where exactly? I mean... in which of his papers? Are you thinking of Euler 1736-37 books and papers, specially 1737? Obviously, Euler did not "invent" -as you say- the standard modern version of the Laplace Transform. So?...
Do I understand rightly from your answer that you are ignoring or failing to recognize Laplace contribution to the topic?

Moreover Laplace said so (though he got the reference wrong).

When and where exactly Laplace said so? Which was his mistaken reference?

Later it was rediscovered by the lesser-known mathematician Jo-sef Petzval, who wrote a 2-volume tome on it. Petzval fell out with one of his students, Simon Spitzer, who took his revenge by promulgating the myth that his teacher had plagiarised Laplace (e-ven after Euler's priority had been pointed out to him!).

The name stuck

Are you intending to say that because of a student of Petzval we today
ascribe to Laplace this transform?

>because Boole and later Poincare read and accepted Spitzer's assertion. Initially Poincare attributed the transform to Bessel (presumably because he misheard the name "Petzval").

Who is presuming that confusion? And as you said "Initially Poincare
attributed..." I would like to know who attributed to Laplace the Transform in the long run?... Poincare?...

>All this history relates to an earlier (and in some ways bet-ter) form
of the transform in which a generalised *inverse* transform was used.
It was indeed Poincare who first got this off the ground prop-erly (the earlier researchers did'nt know enough complex analy-sis). Poincare 1st announced his discovery in a still unpublished paper -- Part I of "Non Inultus Premor", his submission (which didn't win) for the Academie's "grand prize" of 1880.
I read this in 1980 (when there was some hope that it would appear) in
difficult circumstances, This seems chinese to me... What do you want to express with "difficult
circumstances"?

Sorry about the questions!... But your answer without concrete references -specially to crucial points- does not help to clarify much. If one reads the query and your reply, Laplace seems to ap-pear in connection with the so-called LT almost by chance. And pe-rhaps *chance* or better *probability* has much to do with what made him think of LT (in its primitive form).

Thanks in advance.
Prof. Julio Gonzalez Cabillon
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think that it's a very interested question, don't you think so ?
And about my question, "Conclude", you're right. My English it's really bad.
It was mean : " How understood Laplace that those integral applied on differential equations could simplified them"? And what means S-Domain ?

Related to Laplace Transform - How was it created?

1. What is Laplace Transform and what is its purpose?

Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It transforms a function of time into a function of frequency, making it easier to solve complex mathematical problems in engineering and physics.

2. Who created Laplace Transform?

Laplace Transform was created by French mathematician and astronomer Pierre-Simon Laplace in the late 18th century.

3. What inspired Laplace to create this mathematical tool?

Laplace was inspired by the work of Leonhard Euler and Joseph-Louis Lagrange on integral transforms. He wanted to find a way to simplify the process of solving differential equations, which were commonly used in physics and engineering problems.

4. How was Laplace Transform developed?

Laplace spent many years studying and refining his ideas before publishing his work on the transform in 1785. He used techniques from calculus and complex analysis to develop the concept of the transform and its applications.

5. How has Laplace Transform impacted science and engineering?

Laplace Transform has had a significant impact on the fields of science and engineering. It has made it easier to solve complex mathematical problems and has been used in a wide range of applications, including control systems, signal processing, and circuit analysis.