Laplace transform of Diff. Eq containing sine Function

In summary, the homework statement is that the laplace transform of the pendulum equation is s^{2} + \alpha s + g \frac{\omega}{s^{2}+\omega^{2}} = 0. I think the problem is that the \sigma term is dropping out, and I'm not sure what to do about it.
dimensionless

Homework Statement

Find the Laplace transform of the pendulum equation.

Homework Equations

The pendulum equation:
[tex]
\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} + \alpha \frac{d \theta}{dt} + g \sin(\theta) = 0
[/tex]

[tex]
s = \sigma + i \omega
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking the laplace transform I get

[tex]
s^{2} + \alpha s + g \frac{\omega}{s^{2}+\omega^{2}} = 0
[/tex]

I usually drop the [tex] \sigma [/tex] term in [tex]s = \sigma + i \omega[/tex], which leaves

[tex]
s^{2} + \alpha s + g \frac{\omega}{-\omega^{2}+\omega^{2}} = 0
[/tex]

The [tex]\frac{\omega}{-\omega^{2}+\omega^{2}}[/tex] is problematic, but I'm not sure what to do. I don't see the usefulness of the [tex] \sigma [/tex] variable, and I'm not sure that I'm doing this correctly to begin with

Physics news on Phys.org
You're not doing the transform correctly. For laplace you're just taking the real part of z in [tex]exp^{-zt}, z = \sigma + i \omega[/tex].

Last edited:
I'm not sure what you're saying but I had a thought. I think the Laplace of the sine function is
[tex]
\mathcal{L} \left\{\sin(t)\right\} = \frac{1}{s^{2}+1}
[/tex]

which would make the transform

[tex]
s^{2} + \alpha s + g \frac{1}{s^{2}+1} = 0
[/tex]

This is more sensible, but I still need to verify it some how.

What do you get if you take the Laplace transform of just a second deriavative?

I think it is something like

[tex]\mathcal{L} \left\{y(t)\right\} = s^{2} Y(s)[/tex]

presuming that
[tex]\dot y(0) = 0[/tex]
and
[tex]\ddot y(0) = 0[/tex]

I think the sine term would make this a nonlinear differential equation, and I'm now I'm thinking that maybe the Laplace transform doesn't work on nonlinear differential equations.

Sure it does!

Why do you keep dropping the Y(s) terms? That's what you need to take the inverse laplace transform of! Solve for Y(s) and take the inverse transform.

I'm trying to get a transfer function of:

[tex]
\frac{d^{2}\theta}{dt^{2}} + \alpha \frac{d \theta}{dt} + g \sin( \theta ) = f(t)
[/tex]

With the Y(s) terms I get:

[tex]
s^{2} Y(s) + \alpha s Y(s) + g \frac{1}{s^{2}+1}} = F(s)
[/tex]

For the transfer function, I want to Y(s) and F(s) on the same side like this:

[tex]
\frac{Y(s)}{F(s)}
[/tex]

but I don't see and way to factor things out that way.

Last edited:

Related to Laplace transform of Diff. Eq containing sine Function

1. What is a Laplace transform?

A Laplace transform is a mathematical operation that converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency. It is often used in the study of differential equations to simplify their solutions.

2. How is a Laplace transform applied to a differential equation containing a sine function?

To apply a Laplace transform to a differential equation containing a sine function, the sine function is first rewritten in terms of exponential functions using Euler's formula. The transformed equation can then be solved using standard techniques.

3. Why is a Laplace transform useful for solving differential equations?

The Laplace transform allows for the transformation of a differential equation from the time domain to the frequency domain. This can simplify the equation and make it easier to solve, as well as provide insight into the behavior of the system.

4. Are there any limitations to using a Laplace transform on differential equations containing sine functions?

Yes, the Laplace transform can only be used for linear differential equations. It also requires the initial conditions of the differential equation to be known in order to find the inverse transform and obtain the solution.

5. Can a Laplace transform be used for any type of sine function?

Yes, a Laplace transform can be applied to any sine function, as long as it is a well-behaved function (i.e. not infinite or undefined). However, depending on the specific properties of the sine function, the inverse transform may not exist or may be difficult to obtain.