Laplace Transform solution help

In summary, the given initial value problem involves finding the solution for y''+4y=upi(t)-u3pi(t) with initial conditions y(0)=7 and y'(0)=5. The attempt at a solution involves using Laplace transforms and partial fractions to solve for Y, the inverse Laplace transform of the given equation. The final solution is Y=\frac{1}{2}(\frac{e^{-pi*s}-e^{-3pi*s}}{s})\frac{2}{s^{2}+4}.
Melawrghk

Homework Statement

Find the solution of the given initial value problem:
y''+4y=upi(t)-u3pi(t) y(0)=7, y'(0)=5

The Attempt at a Solution

So I found the L{} of the above equation:
s2Y-s*f(0)-f'(0)+4Y = (e-pi*s)/s-(e-3pi*s)/s

Combining and substituting the numbers I get:
Y=[tex]\frac{e^{-pi*s}-e^{-3pi*s}}{s(s^{2}+4)}[/tex]+[tex]\frac{6s+3}{s^2+4}[/tex]

I know how to do the second term's inverse Laplace, but not the first. Here is what I tried:
I can see that I can't get rid of the exponentials in any way other than using the step function again. And the other denominator factor (s^2+4) can be potentially used to get sine. So that:
Y=[tex]\frac{1}{2}(\frac{e^{-pi*s}-e^{-3pi*s}}{s})[/tex][tex]\frac{2}{s^{2}+4}[/tex]

This is where I don't know what to do. I can't separate them and I don't know of a way to do Laplace inverse of a product.

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
partial fractions

Also, the exponentials should be powers of s not t.

How do I do partial fractions with exponentials? Do I use like Ae^(-pi*s) instead of the usual A?

Edit: I fixed the powers

Last edited:
Nevermind partial fractions won't help here. You need to have proven a theorem about the laplace transform of the step function times another function.

Nah, I got it, you do need partial fractions. Thanks.

Related to Laplace Transform solution help

1. What is a Laplace Transform?

A Laplace Transform is a mathematical tool used to solve differential equations. It converts a function of time into a function of complex frequency, making it easier to solve equations involving derivatives.

2. How is a Laplace Transform used to solve differential equations?

The Laplace Transform is used to convert a differential equation from the time domain to the frequency domain. This makes it easier to solve the equation using algebraic techniques, rather than calculus.

3. What are the advantages of using a Laplace Transform to solve equations?

The Laplace Transform allows for the solution of complex differential equations that may not have analytic solutions. It also simplifies the solution process by converting the equation into an algebraic one.

4. Are there any limitations to using Laplace Transform to solve equations?

The Laplace Transform can only be used for linear differential equations. It also assumes that initial conditions are equal to zero, and may not be able to handle discontinuities in the equation.

5. How can I learn to use Laplace Transform to solve equations?

There are many resources available for learning how to use Laplace Transform, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and video lectures. It is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and differential equations before attempting to use the Laplace Transform.