Laplace's equation on an annulus with Nuemann BCs

In summary, the problem is to solve Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus with boundary conditions that the partial derivative of u with respect to r is equal to a function of theta at both boundaries. The solution involves assuming solutions of the form u(r, theta) = G(r)phi(theta) and solving for phi and G using substitution. The periodic boundary conditions require that u and its derivative with respect to theta be continuous, leading to the equation \lambda = n for all n greater than or equal to zero. This results in a solution with various constants for different values of n, but there is a difficulty in setting one of the constants, A_02, in order to satisfy the boundary conditions at both edges of the annulus
nathan12343

Homework Statement

Solve Laplace's equation inside a circular annulus [itex](a<r<b)[/itex] subject to the boundary conditions [itex]\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}(a,\theta) = f(\theta)\text{, }\frac{\partial{u}}{\partial{r}}(b,\theta) = g(\theta)[/itex]

Homework Equations

Assume solutions of the form [itex]u(r,\theta) = G(r)\phi(\theta)[/itex]. This leads to an equation for phi and G, both of which can be solved by substitution:

[tex]
\frac{d^2\phi}{{d\theta}^2} = -\lambda^2\phi
[/tex]
[tex]
\phi = A\cos{\lambda\theta} + B\sin{\lambda\theta}
[/tex]

[tex]
r^2\frac{d^2G}{{dr}^2} + r\frac{dG}{dr} - n^2G = 0
[/tex]
[tex]
G = c_{1n}r^{-n} + c_{2n}r^n\text{ for } n\ne0
[/tex]
[tex]
G = c_{10} + c_{20}\ln(r)\text{ for } n=0
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Periodic boundary conditions require that u and its derivative with respect to theta be continuous between -pi and pi. Then means [itex]\lambda = n[/itex] for all n greater than or equal to zero. We can write,

[tex]
u(r,\theta) = &\, A_{01} + A_{02}\ln(r) + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(A_{n1}r^n + A_{n2}r^{-n})\cos{n\theta} + (B_{n1}r^n + B_{n2}r^{-n})\sin{n\theta}
[/tex]
[tex]
\frac{\partial{u(r,\theta)}}{\partial{r}} = &\, A_{02}r^{-1} + \sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(nA_{n1}r^{n-1} + -nA_{n2}r^{-n-1})\cos{n\theta} + (nB_{n1}r^{n-1} - nB_{n2}r^{-n-1})\sin{n\theta}
[/tex]

I know that I can set everything in parentheses in front of the cosines and sines above equal to some constant when I set r=a,b to enforce the boundary conditions on the edge of the annulus. This leaves me with two equations in two unknowns for all the A's and B's with n greater than 1. My problem is how to set [itex]A_{02}[/tex] such that it will work at both boundaries. It seems like I really need two constants to match to the boundary for when [tex]n=0[/tex]. Am I missing something?

Thanks for your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please disregard this - I meant to post in Calculus & Beyond.

Your approach to solving Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions is correct. However, you are correct in noticing that you need two constants to match the boundary conditions for n=0. This is because the solution for G in this case involves a logarithm term, which cannot be matched to a constant value at both boundaries. Instead, you will need to match the derivative of G at both boundaries, which will give you two equations in two unknowns (A_{02} and c_{20}). This will allow you to solve for both constants and obtain a complete solution for u(r,\theta). Good job on recognizing this issue and working towards a solution!

Related to Laplace's equation on an annulus with Nuemann BCs

1. What is Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions?

Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions is a partial differential equation that describes the steady-state temperature distribution in an annular region with fixed temperature on the boundary. It is given by ∇²T = 0, where T is the temperature and ∇² is the Laplace operator.

2. What are Neumann boundary conditions?

Neumann boundary conditions specify the value of the derivative of a function at the boundary of a region. In the context of Laplace's equation on an annulus, Neumann boundary conditions would specify the heat flux at the inner and outer boundaries of the annulus.

3. How is Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions solved?

Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions can be solved using separation of variables. This involves assuming a solution of the form T(r,θ) = R(r)Θ(θ) and then solving for the separate functions R and Θ. The general solution can then be written as a linear combination of these functions.

4. What is the physical significance of Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions?

Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions has many physical applications, including in heat transfer and fluid dynamics. It can be used to model the temperature distribution in a circular pipe or the flow of heat through a cylindrical shell, among other things.

5. Are there any real-world examples of Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions?

Yes, there are many real-world examples of Laplace's equation on an annulus with Neumann boundary conditions. One example is the steady-state temperature distribution in a circular heat exchanger, where the inner and outer boundaries have fixed heat fluxes. Another example is the temperature variation in a cylindrical shell subject to a constant heat flux at the inner and outer surfaces.