Large hadrons collider [ATLAS]

In summary, when protons collide in ATLAS, they create a mix of particles that exhibit curved trajectories due to the Lorentz force exerted by the constant magnetic field. This can be observed in real time at the ATLAS computing center. There is hope for Lead-Lead collisions at the LHC, but only ALICE was specifically designed for them. The curvature of the charged particles depends on their charge and the strength of the magnetic field. The resulting particles from the proton collisions can be a mix of bosons and fermions.
threadmark
When protons collide in ATLAS, it shows some of the particles in close proximity to the collision with a curved trajectory. The cool thing is, some curve away from the ground. I’m trying to understand what influences this trajectory. If anyone can give me some info to help that would be great.

thanks TM

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Er.. lead particles at 7 TeV at the LHC? In ATLAS? When did this happen?

Zz.

Hope this helps; it’s tagged with the date and time.

Attachments

• ATLAS-30-3-2010.jpg
    ATLAS-30-3-2010.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 485
  • ATLAS-30-3-2010a.jpg
    ATLAS-30-3-2010a.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 472
Where does it say that these are LEAD particles?

I know of these displays. I can look at it live upstairs at the ATLAS computing center.

Zz.

the image is showing new particles.I really want to understand how the new particles curve like this.

Last edited:
If those are data, they must be proton-proton collision, not lead. The trajectories of charged particles curve in a magnetic field. The sign of the curvature depends on the charge. Gravity is irrelevant.

Is ATLAS even designed to look at heavy ion collision? I thought that's what ALICE is for?

Zz.

Sorry, protons not lead.

Those look like proton-proton events. Heavy ion collisions create many more particles, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:First_Gold_Beam-Beam_Collision_Events_at_RHIC_at_100_100_GeV_c_per_beam_recorded_by_STAR.jpg" . Of course, that make sense since there haven't been any heavy ion collisions yet at the LHC. I believe there's still hope for Lead-Lead collisions before the end of the year, but there are no plans for the energy to ever be as high as 7 TeV per nucleon pair. I believe the max was originally going to be 5.5 TeV, although I have no idea what the plan is for the first runs.

ZapperZ said:
Is ATLAS even designed to look at heavy ion collision? I thought that's what ALICE is for?

All the major detectors (maybe not LHCb, I'm not sure) will make measurements for Lead-Lead collisions, but you're right that only ALICE was designed for them, and so will make the most useful measurements.

Last edited by a moderator:
the curving is due to the Lorentz force, charged particles bend when traveling in magnetic field

Positive charged particles in a magnetic field

Is the magnetic field a constant influence to positive charged particles? If so how can this cause be determined if it cannot be eliminated from the collision? Is the collision put under different magnetic strengths to see if the curved orbits are influenced?

tm

The field is constant. The curvature radius is proportional to B/pT.

When the protons collide, what does it create bosons, fermions or a mix?

threadmark said:
When the protons collide, what does it create bosons, fermions or a mix?

A mix.

Related to Large hadrons collider [ATLAS]

1. What is the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) and why is it important?

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC) is the world's largest and most powerful particle accelerator. It is located at the European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) in Switzerland. The LHC is important because it allows scientists to study the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them at extremely high energies. It also helps us understand the origin of the universe and search for new particles that could provide answers to some of the biggest questions in physics.

2. What is the ATLAS experiment and what does it aim to discover?

The ATLAS experiment is one of the four main experiments at the LHC. It consists of a large, complex detector designed to identify and measure the properties of particles produced in high-energy collisions. ATLAS aims to discover new particles, such as the Higgs boson, and to study the properties of known particles to further our understanding of the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. How does the ATLAS detector work?

The ATLAS detector is made up of several layers of specialized detectors that work together to collect data from particle collisions. These detectors measure the energy, momentum, and charge of particles produced in the collisions. The data collected is then used to reconstruct the paths of these particles and identify their properties.

4. What are some of the major discoveries made by the ATLAS experiment?

The ATLAS experiment has made several groundbreaking discoveries since its start in 2008. In 2012, it played a major role in the discovery of the Higgs boson, a long-sought-after particle that gives other particles their mass. In 2015, ATLAS also observed the first evidence of the top quark, the heaviest known elementary particle. More recently, in 2018, ATLAS announced the discovery of a new particle, the tetraquark, which may help us understand the strong force that binds particles together.

5. Are there any potential risks associated with the Large Hadron Collider and the ATLAS experiment?

The LHC and the ATLAS experiment are designed and operated with strict safety measures in place. The energy of the collisions is carefully controlled to ensure the safety of the equipment and the surrounding environment. Extensive risk assessments have been conducted, and no potential risks have been identified that would pose a threat to the public or the environment. The LHC and ATLAS continue to operate safely and provide valuable insights into the world of particle physics.