Large signal dc analysis for bjt circuit (problem)

In summary, the conversation is about finding the values of RB and RE for a circuit with a required Q-point value for IC between 4 mA and 5 mA. The desired solution is to have the largest possible value for RB while meeting the other constraints. The resistors can have non-nominal values. The attempt at a solution involves identifying the currents through the emitter and considering the influence of beta on their values.
Klypso

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown below. A Q-point value for IC between a minimum of 4 mA
and a maximum of 5 mA is required. Assume constant resistor values, and suppose
that b ranges from 100 to 300. It is desired that RB have the largest possible value
while meeting the other constraints. Find the values of RB and RE. The resistors in
this problem are not required to be nominal values.

2. Circuit
Since i can't post the link for the circuit, you can search for " largest possible value
while meeting " in google and go to the first link (Electronics Homework Set #8) the circuit is the first one.

The Attempt at a Solution

15=1000*i_c+R_e*i_e+V_ce
5=R_b*i_b+0.7+R_e*i_e

Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Klypso said:

Homework Statement

Consider the circuit shown below. A Q-point value for IC between a minimum of 4 mA
and a maximum of 5 mA is required. Assume constant resistor values, and suppose
that b ranges from 100 to 300. It is desired that RB have the largest possible value
while meeting the other constraints. Find the values of RB and RE. The resistors in
this problem are not required to be nominal values.

2. Circuit
Since i can't post the link for the circuit, you can search for " largest possible value
while meeting " in google and go to the first link (Electronics Homework Set #8) the circuit is the first one.

The Attempt at a Solution

15=1000*i_c+R_e*i_e+V_ce
5=R_b*i_b+0.7+R_e*i_e

Thank you.

Hi Klyso, Welcome to Physics Forums.

Can you provide more of an attempt at solution? It's not clear from what you've written what your idea is for approaching the problem.

Hints: Can you identify the currents that will flow through the emitter? Do you know values for any of them (or at least ranges of values?) How do they depend upon each other (what is the influence of β)?

Here's the circuit diagram that you couldn't post, for others to view:

attachment.php?attachmentid=48277&stc=1&d=1339532872.gif

Attachments

• Fig1.gif
    Fig1.gif
    2.5 KB · Views: 840

Related to Large signal dc analysis for bjt circuit (problem)

What is large signal DC analysis for BJT circuits?

Large signal DC analysis for BJT circuits is a method used to analyze the behavior of bipolar junction transistor (BJT) circuits under DC operating conditions. It takes into account the non-linear characteristics of the BJT and provides a more accurate representation of its performance compared to small signal analysis.

Why is large signal DC analysis important for BJT circuits?

Large signal DC analysis is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of BJT circuits under realistic operating conditions. This is especially useful for designing and troubleshooting circuits that use BJTs, as small signal analysis may not accurately reflect their actual behavior.

How is large signal DC analysis performed?

Large signal DC analysis is typically performed by setting up a circuit with the BJT and other components, such as resistors and voltage sources. The circuit is then solved using Kirchhoff's laws and the non-linear characteristics of the BJT are taken into account. This process may involve iterative calculations until a stable solution is reached.

What are the key components of a BJT circuit that are considered in large signal DC analysis?

The key components that are considered in large signal DC analysis for BJT circuits are the base-emitter junction, the base-collector junction, and the collector-emitter junction. The characteristics of these junctions, such as voltage drops and current flow, are crucial in determining the overall behavior of the BJT circuit.

What are some common problems that can arise in large signal DC analysis for BJT circuits?

Some common problems that can arise in large signal DC analysis for BJT circuits include incorrect biasing, excessive power dissipation, and thermal instability. These issues can be addressed by carefully selecting component values and using appropriate heat sinks to prevent damage to the BJT and other components.