Largest set on which the function is analytic

In summary, to determine the largest set on which the function f(z) = (z^2-2)e^(-x)e^(-iy) is analytic, the Cauchy-Riemann equations must be satisfied. To find U and V, f(z) is written as f(x+iy), with the exponential term being rewritten using Euler's Formula or expanding its Taylor series.
Jon.G

Homework Statement

Determine the largest set on which the function is analytic.
f(z) = (z2-2)e-xe-iy

Homework Equations

z=x+iy
f(x+iy) = U(x,y) + iV(x,y)
Ux=Vy
Uy=-Vx

The Attempt at a Solution

I think I'm right in saying that f(z) is analytic if the CR equations (provided above) are satisfied.
So I would write f(z) as f(x+iy) to find U and V.

f(x+iy) = (x2-y2+i2xy-2)e-xeiy
This is where I am up to. I can't seem to think of how to split this into parts with and without i. (The exponential with i is what throws me).

Any advice on where to go next?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Jon.G said:
The exponential with i is what throws me
Your text or notes should have given you a formula for ##e^{i\theta}##. If not, look up Euler's Formula. Or better still, expand the Taylor series for ##e^{i\theta}## and compare it to the Taylor series for ##\cos\theta## and ##\sin\theta##

oh wow I actually can't believe I didn't see that.
I am familiar with Euler's Formula and don't know why I didn't think of it in this situation.
When I'm home I'll try using that and then post how I get on.

Thanks for your time

Related to Largest set on which the function is analytic

What does it mean for a function to be analytic?

A function is said to be analytic if it can be represented by a power series that converges to the function's value at each point in its domain. In other words, the function can be approximated by polynomials with increasing accuracy.

Why is it important to know the largest set on which a function is analytic?

Knowing the largest set on which a function is analytic is important because it tells us the domain of the function where it can be accurately represented by a power series. This can help us determine the behavior of the function and make predictions about its values.

How can the largest set on which a function is analytic be determined?

The largest set on which a function is analytic can be determined by looking at the function's properties, such as continuity, differentiability, and the existence of derivatives. It can also be determined by examining the function's domain and finding any points where it may not be analytic.

What happens if a function is not analytic on its entire domain?

If a function is not analytic on its entire domain, it means that there are points where it cannot be accurately represented by a power series. This can result in discontinuities, undefined values, or other irregularities in the function's behavior.

Can a function be analytic on an infinite set?

Yes, a function can be analytic on an infinite set. In fact, many common functions, such as polynomials, trigonometric functions, and exponential functions, are analytic on their entire domain, which is an infinite set. However, there are also functions that are only analytic on a finite subset of their domain.