Laser Beam Divergence: Calculating Total Output Power and Spot Diameter

In summary, a 50W lamp radiates isotropically with a spectral width of 750 nm and a center frequency of 600 nm. When emitted into a solid angle of 10^-6 Sr, the total output power is ~4 microwatts. To find the diameter of the spot on a perpendicular screen placed 1m from the source, the solid angle is related to the angle Ω=2π(1-cosθ), which can be simplified to Ω=4πsin²(θ/2). Substituting Ω=10^-6, the value for θ is found to be very small. The diameter of the spot can then be calculated using the formula tan(θ)=D/(
Ikaros

Homework Statement

A 50W lamp radiates isotropically and has a spectral width of 750 nm and a centre frequency of 600 nm.

How much of its total output power is emitted into a solid angle of 10^-6 Sr?

What is the diameter of the spot that a beam subtending this solid angle makes on a perpendicular screen placed 1 m from the source?

Homework Equations

Full sphere 4*Pi Sr

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of the question, I took the approach of taking the ratio of the solid angle to a full sphere and applying it to the total power radiated from the lamp (10^6/4*pi)*50W, which gave me ~4microwatts. Have I taken the right approach?

For the second part of the question, I thought I'd first have to calculate the beam divergence which would lead me to the diameter of the spot, but I'm not given the diameter of the source. I'm assuming the spectral band comes into play here, but I'm hoping someone can give me a nudge in the right direction.

Physics news on Phys.org
You answered the first question correctly.
As for the second question you can take the light source point-like.
Why do you call it laser? It is said radiating isotropically and having a spectral band of 750 nm around 600 nm, so it radiates in the whole visible range. The divergence of a laser beam is very narrow and also the bandwidth of its radiation. This is just an ordinary lamp. ehild

Oops, that is an error in the title of the thread and I'll blame it on the fact the question is from a tutorial on laser physics and that the first question in full is actually a comparison between the power delivered in a solid angle of a lamp and a laser - which is now more clear.

For the second question, I intend to use [tex] \theta = 2\arctan \left( {\frac{D}{{2L}}} \right) [/tex]
in an effort to solve for the diameter of beam spot. I hope you let me know if I'm going down the wrong path.

Take care, the solid angle is not the same as [itex]\vartheta[/itex]. It is related to the solid angle Ω as

Ω=2[itex]\pi[/itex](1-cos[itex]\vartheta[/itex])

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid_angle)

This relation can be written also in the form

Ω=4[itex]\pi[/itex] sin2([itex]\vartheta[/itex]/2).

Subbing Ω=10-6, you get [itex]\vartheta[/itex]. Take care, [itex]\vartheta[/itex] is in radians. As the solid angle is very small, sin([itex]\vartheta[/itex]/2)=[itex]\vartheta[/itex]/2.
The relation between D, L and [itex]\vartheta[/itex] is correct.

tan([itex]\vartheta[/itex])=D/(2L).

ehild

That's great. Thanks again for the support.

Related to Laser Beam Divergence: Calculating Total Output Power and Spot Diameter

What is laser beam divergence?

Laser beam divergence refers to the spreading out of a laser beam as it travels through space. It is measured by the angle at which the beam widens over distance.

Why is laser beam divergence a problem?

Laser beam divergence can be a problem because it can decrease the precision and accuracy of the laser beam. This can be especially problematic in applications that require a focused and concentrated beam, such as in laser cutting or medical procedures.

What factors affect laser beam divergence?

The main factors that affect laser beam divergence are the type of laser, the quality of the laser beam, and the distance the beam travels. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and imperfections in the laser's optical components can also play a role.

How can laser beam divergence be minimized?

There are several methods for minimizing laser beam divergence. These include using a higher quality laser with a more uniform beam, using lenses or mirrors to focus and collimate the beam, and using adaptive optics to compensate for any atmospheric distortions.

Can laser beam divergence be completely eliminated?

No, laser beam divergence cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced to a very small degree through careful design and calibration of the laser system. In most cases, a certain level of divergence is acceptable and can be compensated for through other means.