Laser pointer and battery life

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 5mW laser pointer with 3 AG-3 button cells and the observation that the beam became dimmer over time. It is noted that replacing the batteries with other AG-3s resulted in a brighter beam and did not affect the 3mm white LED. The website where the laser pointer was purchased claimed a battery duration of 3 hours but also mentioned 3 2.5v watch batteries, which caused confusion. The conversation then delves into the reasons for the quick depletion of battery power and the discrepancy in the advertised battery duration. The conclusion is that the advertisement is misleading and that a more efficient laser pointer could be powered by just two AAA batteries.
hl_world
I got a 5mW (class 3A), 650nm laser pointer yesterday and it came with 3 AG-3 button cells and over a day, it was on for about 60 seconds, maybe more however I noticed the beam wasn't as bright as it was when I first put it on. Over 30 seconds worth of use, it seemed to dim further until I replaced the batteries with some AG-3s that came with another product and it was noticably brighter. The 3mm white LED wasn't affected.
The website I ordered it from said its battery duration was 3 hours (it's the 2 in 1 at the bottom). It also said it came with 3 2.5v watch batteries (I thought AG-3 cells were 1.5 volts).

Why did the button cells lose their power so quickly?
Why do the AG-3s cause the laser beam to dim instead of allowing it to be at a constant intensity?
Did the website get the facts wrong?

Thanks for any replies

Computer science news on Phys.org
Does the advertisement tell you about the intensity of the beam for the continuous three hour duration?

No, but we're only talking about roughly 90 seconds for the beam to half its brightness at this rate, the beam will dissipate by 5 mins not 3 hours.

The advertisement is a lie. I have laser pointer running on two AAA batteries and it lasts for less than ten minutes. The laser diode is simply a power hog, inefficient at that.

Thanks for your help.

Red laser pointers last longer than green ones .

Related to Laser pointer and battery life

1. How long does the battery last in a laser pointer?

The battery life of a laser pointer depends on the type and quality of the battery, as well as the frequency and duration of use. On average, a standard alkaline battery can last for 2-3 hours, while a rechargeable battery can last for up to 10 hours.

2. Can leaving the laser pointer on for long periods of time drain the battery?

Yes, leaving a laser pointer on for extended periods of time can drain the battery quickly. It is recommended to turn off the laser pointer when not in use to conserve battery life.

3. Does the brightness of the laser affect the battery life?

Yes, the brightness of the laser pointer can affect the battery life. The brighter the laser, the more energy it requires from the battery, which can result in a shorter battery life.

4. How can I prolong the battery life of my laser pointer?

To prolong the battery life of your laser pointer, you can use high-quality batteries, turn off the laser when not in use, and store the laser pointer in a cool, dry place. You can also adjust the brightness of the laser to conserve battery power.

5. What is the average lifespan of a laser pointer?

The average lifespan of a laser pointer depends on the quality of the product and how often it is used. On average, a laser pointer can last for 1-2 years with regular use before needing to be replaced. However, with proper care and maintenance, it can last longer.