Laser pulse calculation - a quick bit of help appreciated

In summary, the average power of a free-running Nd:YAG laser is 5W with a repetition frequency of 100Hz. This results in a pulse power of 100W. When Q-switched, the average power is reduced to 4W, giving a peak power of 2MW. Further calculations are needed to determine the energy and time of one pulse in this operation.
T7
Hi,

a. A free-running, flashlamp-pumped Nd:YAG laser produced pulses having a duration of 500 microseconds at a repetition frequency of l00Hz. Deduce the pulse power in this type of operation if the average power of the laser is 5W. (100W)​

b. This laser is then Q-switched and the average power is reduced to 4W. Deduce the peak power of the Q-switched power (2MW)​

I'm sure this is simple, but I don't seem to be getting the answer I'm supposed to. Anyone care to show how it ought to be done? :smile:

Cheers.

T7

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show us how far you have come in your calculations?

Mattara said:

Yup. I think I've just realized what I was doing wrong as far as part a is concerned.

Let Pa denote average power
Let Pp denote power of one pulse
Let Ep denote energy of one pulse
Let t denote time of one pulse

If Pa = 5W, and f = 100Hz, then

Ep x 100 = 5 => Ep = 0.05
Pp = Ep / t = 0.05 / (500 x 10^-6) = 100W

I think that's right. (Hope so).

Last edited:
Mattara said:

I would apply a similar sort of working to the second part. I don't see how it can be done without more information.

FAQ: Laser pulse calculation - a quick bit of help appreciated

1. What is a laser pulse calculation?

A laser pulse calculation is a mathematical process used to determine the properties of a laser pulse, such as its intensity, duration, and energy. It involves solving equations that describe the behavior of the laser beam and its interaction with the surrounding environment.

2. Why is laser pulse calculation important?

Laser pulse calculation is important because it allows scientists to design and optimize laser systems for specific applications. It also helps in understanding the behavior of lasers in different environments and predicting their effects on materials and biological tissues.

3. What factors affect laser pulse calculation?

The factors that affect laser pulse calculation include the type of laser used, its power and energy output, pulse duration, beam profile, and the properties of the medium through which the laser travels.

4. What is the process of performing a laser pulse calculation?

The process of performing a laser pulse calculation involves first gathering information about the laser system and its operating parameters. This is followed by using mathematical equations and computer simulations to model the behavior of the laser pulse. The results are then analyzed and compared to experimental data to validate the calculations.

5. Are there any software programs available for laser pulse calculations?

Yes, there are several software programs available for laser pulse calculations, such as MATLAB, BeamPROP, and Lumerical. These programs use advanced algorithms and simulations to accurately model the behavior of laser pulses and are widely used by scientists and engineers in the field of optics and photonics.