Lasers - energy per round-trip

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the energy added to a laser beam per round-trip within a resonator. The speaker provides information on the components of a solid-state laser and proposes a theory that the energy increase must be equal to the losses in a steady state cavity. They ask for opinions on their theory.
yoni3468
Hi all,

I would like to ask a question regarding lasers and resonators:

If I have a solid-state laser, and I know the following information:

The gain medium diameter, it's length, population difference between the energy levels, gamma-alpha (r-a), broadening, wavelength, spontaneous emission rate, refraction coefficient, and the mirrors' reflectivity (R1=1 and R2=0.9);

How can I calculate the energy that is being added to the laser beam per round-trip within the resonator?

Science news on Phys.org
I thought a bit about it, and I have a theory:

If the cavity has already reached it's steady state, the energy must remain constant.
That means that if I'm looking for the energy increase, it must be equal to the losses.

What do you think?

FAQ: Lasers - energy per round-trip

1. What is the energy per round-trip in a laser?

The energy per round-trip in a laser refers to the total amount of energy that is released in one full cycle of the laser beam. This includes both the energy that is stored in the laser's medium and the energy that is released in the form of a laser beam.

2. Why is the energy per round-trip important in lasers?

The energy per round-trip is important in lasers because it determines the power and intensity of the laser beam. A higher energy per round-trip means a more powerful and intense laser beam, which can be useful for certain applications like cutting or welding.

3. How is the energy per round-trip measured in lasers?

The energy per round-trip in lasers is typically measured in joules (J) or millijoules (mJ). This is done by using specialized instruments like energy meters or photodiodes that can accurately measure the energy of the laser beam.

4. Can the energy per round-trip in a laser be adjusted?

Yes, the energy per round-trip in a laser can be adjusted by changing the laser's settings, such as the pump power or cavity length. This allows for flexibility in the laser's output and can be useful for different applications.

5. What factors can affect the energy per round-trip in a laser?

The energy per round-trip in a laser can be affected by various factors, including the type of laser medium, the pump power, the cavity design, and the temperature of the laser. These factors can impact the efficiency and stability of the laser, which in turn can affect its energy output per round-trip.

Back