Lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion

In summary, lateral inversion in plane mirrors can be thought of as a switch of left and right without switching up and down. When looking at a mirror from a different angle, such as lying down, the inversion becomes up-down relative to the first case. This phenomenon can be explained by the brain interpreting the switch as rotation and the presence of a vertical line of symmetry. The aperture of a mirror refers to the diameter, which is the length of the arc or the line connecting the two end points of the mirror.
rishch
Hi :)

So I'm learning about lateral inversion in plane mirrors and it's a bit confusing. I think of it like this:-

Suppose you had a clone of your self who is standing next to you and facing the same direction. He walks a few steps forward and then turns to face you. When he turns to face you he does this by turning 180 which effectively switches left to right and right to left but the head and foot do not exchange positions. However if you think of a mirror it's turning to face you WITHOUT switching left to right so it appears inverted. It would be like putting paint on your body and then hugging the mirror.

But suppose you turn 90 degrees (maybe you can lie down on a table) and look in a mirror you're still laterally inverted but it's up-down inversion relative to the first case. And while you were lying down on the table, if a friend were to come and stand next to you he would also be laterally inverted. It's like the mirror is doing both at the same time. How?

And there's a question in my textbook "can you think how a single plane mirror can reverse up-down, up-left and down-right?" I'm not sure what up-left and down-right means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes the last video is exactly what I was thinking. We're actually switching front to back but the brain interprets this as rotation. I guess that's because in real life you can't switch front to back. I also think that it's because we have a vertical line of symmetry.

Oh and I just wanted to ask what aperture is of a mirror is? Is it area or length or what?

rishch said:
Oh and I just wanted to ask what aperture is of a mirror is? Is it area or length or what?

the diameter

Dave

So would it be the length of the arc or the length of the line joining the two end points of the mirror?

FAQ: Lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion

What is lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion?

Lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion is the phenomenon where the left and right sides of an object or image are reversed when viewed in a mirror or through a lens.

What causes lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion?

Lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion is caused by the way our brain processes visual information. Our brain is used to seeing objects in a certain orientation, so when the image is flipped, it can cause confusion.

Is lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion the same as mirror image confusion?

Yes, lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion is another term for mirror image confusion. Both refer to the same phenomenon where the left and right sides of an object or image appear reversed.

Does everyone experience lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion?

Yes, lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion is a common experience for most people. It is a natural result of the way our brain processes visual information.

Can lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion be overcome?

While it is difficult to completely overcome lateral inversion up-left and down-right confusion, our brain can be trained to adjust and interpret the reversed images more accurately. This can be achieved through practice and exposure to reversed images.