Lateral Torsional Buckling in a W section beam

In summary, the conversation discusses designing a beam under two different conditions: with continuous lateral support and with lateral support only at the ends and concentrated load. The question is raised about whether or not to check for lateral torsional buckling in these two cases. The answer is that for condition a), lateral torsional buckling does not need to be checked since the beam is continuously braced, while for condition b), Cb and Fcr need to be calculated to check LTB. The final question is about what to do if Mn is greater than Mp in the AISC Steel Manual Equation F2-2. The answer is to use the Mp value as the nominal moment capacity and multiply it by Phi to check against the Ultimate Moment.
Pooty
Hey everyone, so I am in an Adv. Steel Design Course and I am supposed to design a beam under a given distributed DL+LL and Concentrated DL+LL. We are supposed to design the beam under two different conditions... a.) It has continuous lateral support b.) Lateral support is provided at the ends and at the concentrated load. So my question is for the condition a.), do we even need to check the beam for lateral torsional buckling? It seems that we wouldn't since it is braced continuously on it's lateral sides... And for case b.) we would need to calculate Cb and then Fcr to check LTB, right? Since these questions are not qualitative, I don't think I still need to show my work... Thanks guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your statements are correct.

When checking for lateral torsional buckling of a W-section beam, if your Mn value is greater than your Mp value (AISC Steel Manual Equation F2-2), do you have to choose a new W section or do you then just use the Mp value as the governing nominal moment capacity? Then multiply that by Phi and check that it exceeds your Ultimate Moment?

Related to Lateral Torsional Buckling in a W section beam

What is lateral torsional buckling?

Lateral torsional buckling is a phenomenon that occurs when a beam (such as a W section beam) is subjected to a combination of lateral (sideways) and torsional (twisting) forces, causing it to bend and twist out of its original shape.

How does lateral torsional buckling affect the structural integrity of a W section beam?

Lateral torsional buckling can significantly reduce the load-bearing capacity of a W section beam and compromise its structural integrity. This can result in the beam failing under its intended load, potentially causing damage or collapse.

What are the factors that contribute to lateral torsional buckling in W section beams?

The main factors that contribute to lateral torsional buckling in W section beams are the beam's length, shape, and cross-sectional properties, as well as the type and magnitude of the applied forces.

How can lateral torsional buckling in W section beams be prevented?

Lateral torsional buckling can be prevented by designing beams with appropriate cross-sectional properties and proportions, providing adequate lateral bracing, and avoiding excessive loads or forces that could cause bending and twisting.

What are the consequences of neglecting lateral torsional buckling in W section beam design?

Neglecting lateral torsional buckling in W section beam design can lead to structural failure, potentially resulting in injury or property damage. It can also result in additional costs for repairs or replacements.