Latest and Greatest PCB Design Software

In summary: If you've got the $$, Orcad, Altium, and Pads are pretty much the top 3 in the industry (as far as I'm aware anyway). Those three are also pretty good about supporting legacy files when the update their software. Altium (what I use) just pushed Altium Designer 10 this week. I'm not sure how you can get more recent than that...If you have to ask this question, don't try to redesign PCB's, have an expert redesign them for you.If you will contact me, will give you the name of someone who has done PCB's for me.
branbailey9
I am going to be redesigning some PCBs for some legacy products and want to use the most up to date software I can to keep these designs easy to update in the future. The current design is in Theda and the CAD files are no longer available. I appreciate any input.

Engineering news on Phys.org
How deep are your pockets?

If you've got the $$, Orcad, Altium, and Pads are pretty much the top 3 in the industry (as far as I'm aware anyway). Those three are also pretty good about supporting legacy files when the update their software.

Altium (what I use) just pushed Altium Designer 10 this week. I'm not sure how you can get more recent than that...

If you have to ask this question, don't try to redesign PCB's, have an expert redesign them for you.
If you will contact me, will give you the name of someone who has done PCB's for me.

PADS is probably the industry standard. It's a great program, but VERY expensive and difficult to learn.

I use Diptrace for small PCB's with good results. It's free for small PCB's and reasonably priced for larger PCB's. None of the programs to design PCB's are easy to learn. Diptrace is probably one of the easier to learn.

However my advice is
HAVE AN EXPERIENCED PERSON DESIGN THE PCB FOR YOU.

I am an entry level designer just out of college and my company does not want to outsource the redesign. An expert here will be reviewing my work. I have some experience but am just trying to gather all the information I can before I begin. My company currently uses Allegro. I just wanted to bring some fresh ideas to the table if possible. I do appreciate the input. Thank you

My info might be old, in my days, Allegro is the more common. Then Power PCB ( PADS). I myself use older version OrCad in my days, it was 10.2 at the time. I downloaded the latest OrCad, it is nothing like what I know and the files are not compatible.

I think learning is about the same, you learn one, you know what to expect from the other. Best is to choose the one that is the most common instead of worrying about which one is the best. It is more important to learn something that is in demand so you be able to find job easier in the future. I know PADS and OrCad, it was hands down OrCad is superior for RF design, not even close. But PADS is a lot more common and useful when looking for a job.

Related to Latest and Greatest PCB Design Software

1. What are the key features of the latest PCB design software?

The latest PCB design software offers a wide range of features such as advanced schematic capture, powerful layout tools, 3D modeling, simulation and analysis, design rule checking, and manufacturing file generation. It also supports the latest industry standards and offers integration with other design tools.

2. How does the latest PCB design software improve the design process?

The latest PCB design software streamlines the design process by providing intuitive and user-friendly interfaces, automation of repetitive tasks, and real-time collaboration. It also offers advanced tools for error detection and correction, which helps in reducing design time and improving the overall quality of the design.

3. Can the latest PCB design software handle complex designs?

Yes, the latest PCB design software is specifically designed to handle complex and high-speed designs. It offers various advanced features such as differential pair routing, multi-layer design, and impedance control that can handle the most complex and challenging designs with ease.

4. Is the latest PCB design software suitable for both beginners and professionals?

Yes, the latest PCB design software is suitable for both beginners and professionals. It offers a user-friendly interface for beginners to get started quickly and provides advanced features and customization options for professionals to create complex designs.

5. Can the latest PCB design software be used for any type of electronic device?

Yes, the latest PCB design software can be used for designing various types of electronic devices, including consumer electronics, medical devices, automotive electronics, and more. It offers a wide range of features and customization options that can be tailored to suit the specific requirements of different types of electronic devices.