LaTeX - dfrac with textstyle numerator

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Whovian
  • Start date
  • Tags
    latex
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with aligning a fraction in a LaTeX document and the solutions attempted, including using \tfrac and \textstyle to adjust the size of the numerator. However, these attempts have been unsuccessful and the speaker asks for a solution to the problem.
Whovian
While typing up a LaTeX document (long story,) in an align environment, I ran into having to type up a fraction which, while it didn't force the align to go off the page, it went past the later \tag{1}, which, needless to say, is somewhat annoying. I came up with the clever idea of limiting the fraction's size by using \tfrac, though this looked pretty annoying. So I came up with the other clever idea of only making the numerator \textstyle, which my intuition says will look lovely. Unfortunately, any attempt at doing so fails. For instance,

Code:
\dfrac{\textstyle a}{a}

parses to ##\dfrac{\textstyle a}{a}##. Anyone have a solution to this, or, alternatively, another solution to my original problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
If I understand well, you want to make the counter smaller than the denominator. It can be done winthin an inline environment as eg.

Let us see the following equation: $\frac{a}{\displaystyle a}$

Related to LaTeX - dfrac with textstyle numerator

What is LaTeX?

LaTeX is a typesetting system used for creating technical and scientific documents. It is based on the TeX typesetting language and is widely used in academic and scientific fields.

What does "dfrac" do in LaTeX?

"dfrac" is a command in LaTeX that allows you to create a fraction with a larger vertical space between the numerator and denominator. This is often used for displaying equations in a more visually appealing way.

What is "textstyle" in LaTeX?

"Textstyle" is a command in LaTeX that allows you to change the font size and spacing to match the surrounding text. This is useful for creating fractions or equations within a paragraph of text.

How do I use "dfrac" with "textstyle" in LaTeX?

To use "dfrac" with "textstyle" in LaTeX, you would write the command as follows: \dfrac{\textstyle numerator}{denominator}. This will create a fraction with the numerator and denominator in the same font size and spacing as the surrounding text.

Can I use "dfrac" with non-numerical values in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use "dfrac" with non-numerical values in LaTeX. This can be useful for creating fractions with text or symbols in the numerator and denominator, such as chemical equations or mathematical expressions.