LaTex Figure Reference Issue: Figures >10 in Chapter 5

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter refind
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the conversation is about a problem with referencing figures in a LaTex document. The person is writing a thesis and has encountered an issue where referencing figure 5.13 appears as 5.3. They have tried searching for a solution and have found some helpful resources. It turns out that the issue was a typo and the problem has been solved. The conversation also mentions a good place to ask LaTex questions.
refind
Sorry if this is against the rules but found no good place to ask a quick LaTex question:

I'm writing a thesis and in chapter 5 I have >10 figures. When I use
Code:
\label{figureX}
on figure 5.13 and then
Code:
figure \ref{figureX}
in a paragraph, it compiles as "figure 5.3" instead of "figure 5.13".
All the other figures with single digits e.g. figure 5.7 work fine to reference. Somehow it eats the 1 in 5.13 and leaves it as 5.3

Yes I tried Google. Anyone know why this happens?
I appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org
They did help. Thanks a lot, problem solved it was a typo on my part and those references made me realize it.

refind said:
found no good place to ask a quick LaTex question:

The "good place" here is the "Math & Science Software" subforum of "Computers & Technology." Being a subforum, it's easy to overlook, so you're forgiven. :smile:

I've moved this thread there.

I understand the importance of accurate referencing in research and writing. It is important to ensure that all figures are properly labeled and referenced in order to maintain the integrity and credibility of your work.

In regards to your issue with LaTex figure referencing, it seems that there may be a formatting error or inconsistency in your document. I would suggest checking your code and ensuring that all figure labels are correctly assigned and that there are no duplicate labels. It may also be helpful to consult with a LaTex expert or consult online forums for troubleshooting tips.

It is also important to note that LaTex can be sensitive to spacing and punctuation, so double check that there are no extra spaces or punctuation marks in your code that may be causing the issue.

Overall, it is important to address this issue before finalizing your thesis to ensure that all figures are accurately referenced and cited. I wish you the best of luck in resolving this issue and completing your thesis.

Related to LaTex Figure Reference Issue: Figures >10 in Chapter 5

1. What is LaTex?

LaTex is a typesetting system used for creating high-quality documents and publications. It is commonly used in academic and scientific writing due to its ability to handle complex mathematical equations and symbols.

2. How is LaTex different from other text editors?

Unlike traditional text editors, LaTex uses a markup language instead of a WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get) interface. This means that the user types in commands and codes to format their document, rather than visually formatting it. LaTex also offers more advanced features, such as automatic numbering and cross-referencing.

3. Is LaTex difficult to learn?

LaTex can be challenging to learn, especially for those who are used to traditional text editors. However, with practice and patience, it can become a powerful tool for document creation. There are also many online resources and tutorials available to help with learning LaTex.

4. Can LaTex be used for all types of documents?

While LaTex is primarily used for academic and scientific writing, it can be used for a variety of document types, including resumes, letters, and presentations. However, some document types may be better suited for traditional text editors.

5. Is LaTex free to use?

Yes, LaTex is free and open-source software. It can be downloaded and used on various operating systems, including Windows, Mac, and Linux. There are also online versions available for those who do not want to download the software.