LaTeX: Numbering/Labeling Examples for Math Papers

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter R.P.F.
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to label and number examples in LaTeX, use the command \label{example:label} after the \begin{example} command, and to reference the labeled example, use the command \ref{example:label} in the text. You can also customize the numbering format for your examples by using the command \newtheorem{example}{Example}[section], reset the example numbering by using \setcounter{example}{0}, and add a prefix or suffix to your example numbers with \renewcommand{\theexample}{Prefix \arabic{example} Suffix}. Additionally, you can change the numbering style for your examples by using \renewcommand{\theexample}{\alph{example}}.
R.P.F.

Homework Statement

Hello,

I just have a question about LaTeX. I am writing a math paper. Is there a way to number/label my examples like I do for theorems and definitions? Thank you.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to LaTeX: Numbering/Labeling Examples for Math Papers

1. How do I label and number examples in my math paper using LaTeX?

To label and number examples in LaTeX, use the command \label{example:label} after the \begin{example} command. Then, to reference the labeled example, use the command \ref{example:label} in the text.

2. Can I customize the numbering format for my examples in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the numbering format for your examples in LaTeX by using the command \newtheorem{example}{Example}[section] after the \begin{document} command. This will number your examples based on the section they appear in.

3. How do I reset the example numbering in LaTeX?

To reset the example numbering in LaTeX, use the command \setcounter{example}{0} after the \begin{document} command. This will reset the example counter to 0 and begin numbering from there.

4. Can I add a prefix or suffix to my example numbers in LaTeX?

Yes, you can add a prefix or suffix to your example numbers in LaTeX by using the command \renewcommand{\theexample}{Prefix \arabic{example} Suffix} after the \begin{document} command. This will add the specified prefix and suffix to your example numbers.

5. How do I change the numbering style for my examples in LaTeX?

You can change the numbering style for your examples in LaTeX by using the command \renewcommand{\theexample}{\alph{example}} after the \begin{document} command. This will change the example numbers to use lowercase letters instead of numbers.