LaTeX on Windows 2000: Known Problem and Solution?

In summary, the conversation is about an issue with viewing LaTeX code on different operating systems, specifically Windows XP and Windows 2000. The code appears normal on one desktop but is unreadable on a laptop, possibly due to the browser being used. The suggested solution is to make sure to use IE8, FF3.6, or Chrome instead of IE6.
ghwellsjr
Science Advisor
Gold Member
On my desktop running Windows XP, the LaTeX code appears normal but on my laptop running Windows 2000, the same thing appears in a small black window with disjointed white text that is unreadable. Is this a known problem with a known solution? Do I have to install something?

Physics news on Phys.org
ghwellsjr said:
On my desktop running Windows XP, the LaTeX code appears normal but on my laptop running Windows 2000, the same thing appears in a small black window with disjointed white text that is unreadable. Is this a known problem with a known solution? Do I have to install something?

It's more-so what browser you are using. Make sure you have either IE8, FF3.6, or Chrome.

That's probably it. I use IE6. Thanks.

Related to LaTeX on Windows 2000: Known Problem and Solution?

1. What is LaTeX and how does it relate to Windows 2000?

LaTeX is a typesetting language commonly used in scientific and academic writing. It can be installed and used on Windows 2000 as a way to produce high-quality documents with complex formatting and mathematical equations.

2. What are some known problems when using LaTeX on Windows 2000?

Some common problems that users encounter when using LaTeX on Windows 2000 include compatibility issues with newer versions of LaTeX, installation errors, and font rendering problems.

3. How can I fix font rendering issues when using LaTeX on Windows 2000?

One solution is to make sure that you have the correct fonts installed on your computer. You can also try using the "auto-pst-pdf" package to convert your document to a PDF with embedded fonts.

4. Is it possible to use the latest version of LaTeX on Windows 2000?

No, the latest version of LaTeX (version 2e) is not compatible with Windows 2000. Users will need to use an older version, such as LaTeX 2.09, in order to use it on this operating system.

5. How can I troubleshoot installation errors when trying to install LaTeX on Windows 2000?

First, make sure you are following the correct installation instructions for your specific version of LaTeX. If the problem persists, try installing the software in compatibility mode or seek help from online forums or resources for Windows 2000 users.