LaTeX Question - How do you make a Lowercase Script L?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Lovemaker
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, to make a lowercase script L in LaTeX, you can use the \ell command or the \mathcal{L} command. You can also customize the size and font of the lowercase script L by using different commands before the \ell or \mathcal{L} command. Additionally, you can use the \ell or \mathcal{L} command within subscript or superscript brackets. There is also a shortcut for making a lowercase script L, but it is recommended to use curly braces for consistency and clarity in your code.
Lovemaker
Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the script lowercase L in LaTeX (i.e. looks like the breast cancer symbol).

Thanks!

(Hopefully I put this in the appropriate forum)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Lovemaker,

Lovemaker said:
Hi,

Does anyone know how to make the script lowercase L in LaTeX (i.e. looks like the breast cancer symbol).

Thanks!

(Hopefully I put this in the appropriate forum)

Do you mean this:

[tex]
\ell
[/tex]

If so the command is

\ell

Yes, that's what I meant. Thank you very much!

FAQ: LaTeX Question - How do you make a Lowercase Script L?

1. How do you make a lowercase script L in LaTeX?

To make a lowercase script L in LaTeX, you can use the \ell command or the \mathcal{L} command. Both of these will produce a lowercase script L in your document.

2. Can I customize the size of the lowercase script L in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the size of the lowercase script L by using the \scriptsize, \footnotesize, \small, \normalsize, \large, \Large, \LARGE, \huge, or \Huge commands before the \ell or \mathcal{L} command. For example, \small\ell will produce a smaller lowercase script L.

3. How do I make a lowercase script L in a subscript or superscript?

You can use the \ell or \mathcal{L} command within the subscript or superscript brackets. For example, H_{\ell} will produce a lowercase script L as a subscript to the letter H.

4. Can I change the font of the lowercase script L in LaTeX?

Yes, you can change the font of the lowercase script L by using the \mathcal{L} command within a font changing command, such as \textbf{} for bold or \textit{} for italics. For example, \textbf{\mathcal{L}} will produce a bold lowercase script L.

5. Is there a shortcut for making a lowercase script L in LaTeX?

Yes, you can use the shortcut \ell or \mathcal{L} followed by a space to produce a lowercase script L. For example, \ell\ will produce a lowercase script L without having to use the curly braces. However, it is recommended to use the curly braces for consistency and clarity in your code.