Lattice Field Theory - QCD. Trace?

In summary, the conversation discusses simulating QCD using hybrid Monte Carlo methods. The Wilson loop, written as U_{P}, and the invariant gauge action, S_{G}, are important concepts in lattice gauge theories. The Trace in this context refers to a sum over the indices of the su(3) matrix, which represents the gauge field configuration. The sum over loops P is a sum over all possible configurations of the gauge field on the lattice. Recommended texts for understanding lattice gauge theories and their implementation on a computer are "Lattice Gauge Theories: An Introduction" by Thomas DeGrand and "Monte Carlo Methods in Lattice Field Theory" by I. Montvay and G. Münster.
anony
Hi guys,

So I'm working on this project to simulate QCD using a computer using (hybrid) monte carlo. I follow the majority of what I've read thus far, though there are a few things I'm uncertain about. Firstly, the Wilson loop is often written as U_{P} and the invariant gauge action is

[tex]S_{G} = \sum_{P} Tr[ \frac{1}{2} ( U_{P} + U^{\dagger}_{P} ) ] [/tex]

where the sum is over loops (plaquettes) P.

I don't follow what the Trace here means? U_{P} is an su(3) matrix (as opposed to SU(3)) right? But there are 3 colours in QCD. Does that mean there are 3 different loops, one for each colour? and that trace is a sum over colours? And then, doesn't U_{P} have a colour index, dirac index, spatial index and all that? So

[tex]Tr(U_{P}) = \sum_{c} U_{P}^{c}[/tex]

Help appreciated with this.

Also, if you have any recommended texts for anything related to lattice gauge theories, particularly on a computer, please share :)

Thanks

EDIT: I don't know why the maths isn't showing, if a moderator sees it, please fix my tags :)

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

Great to hear that you're working on simulating QCD using Monte Carlo methods! The Wilson loop and the gauge action are key concepts in lattice gauge theories, so it's important to have a clear understanding of them. Let me try to address your questions.

Firstly, the Trace in this context refers to the sum over the indices of the matrix. In this case, the matrix is an su(3) matrix, which means it has 8 complex numbers (or 8 generators) since SU(3) is a Lie group with 8 generators. So the sum over the Trace is essentially a sum over these 8 numbers.

U_{P} is indeed an su(3) matrix, and it represents the gauge field configuration at a given point on the lattice. The sum over loops (plaquettes) P is essentially a sum over all possible configurations of the gauge field on the lattice.

Now, for the second part of your question, U_{P} does have a color index, a Dirac index, and a spatial index. But the Trace is taken over the color indices, so it's a sum over the 8 complex numbers in the matrix. This is because the color indices are the only ones that contribute to the gauge action, as the other indices are taken care of by the U_{P} matrix.

As for recommended texts, I would suggest "Lattice Gauge Theories: An Introduction" by Thomas DeGrand and "Monte Carlo Methods in Lattice Field Theory" by I. Montvay and G. Münster. Both are excellent resources for understanding lattice gauge theories and their implementation on a computer.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. Good luck with your project!

FAQ: Lattice Field Theory - QCD. Trace?

1. What is Lattice Field Theory?

Lattice Field Theory is a computational approach used in theoretical physics to study the properties of quantum chromodynamics (QCD), which is the theory that describes the strong nuclear force. It involves discretizing space and time into a lattice and using numerical simulations to solve the equations of QCD.

2. What is QCD?

QCD, or quantum chromodynamics, is a theory that explains the strong nuclear force, which is responsible for holding atomic nuclei together. It describes how quarks and gluons interact with each other to form hadrons, such as protons and neutrons.

3. What is the significance of using a lattice in Lattice Field Theory?

The lattice in Lattice Field Theory allows for a finite, discrete representation of space and time, which makes it easier to perform numerical calculations. It also helps to regulate the infinite values that arise in QCD equations, making them more manageable.

4. What is the role of trace in Lattice Field Theory - QCD?

In Lattice Field Theory - QCD, trace refers to the process of tracing over the degrees of freedom that are not relevant to the physical system being studied. This helps to simplify the calculations and reduce computational time without losing important information.

5. What are some applications of Lattice Field Theory - QCD?

Lattice Field Theory - QCD has many applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of the strong nuclear force. It is used to calculate properties of hadrons, such as their masses and interactions, and to study the phase diagram of QCD at different temperatures and densities. It also has applications in astrophysics, as it can help us understand the behavior of quarks and gluons in extreme environments such as neutron stars and the early universe.