Laue method for determining orientation

In summary, the Laue method of X-ray diffraction is useful for determining the orientation of a crystal, as explained by Ashcroft. This is achieved by using the diffraction pattern to determine the crystal axes and their orientation relative to the sample shape. This method is particularly helpful in determining the perpendicular crystal direction on a thin silicon disc.
afrano
I have just seen a photograph known as a Laue photograph. I am reading about the Laue method of X-ray Diffraction. This method is supposed to be useful for determining the orientation of a crystal, according to Ashcroft. My question is how? Orientation with regards to what? It seems to me the concept of orientation is a bit trivial, unless you define a reference or axis, so how is this method helpful?
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
The diffraction pattern will allow you to determine the crystalline axis, a,b, and c.

You can determine the orientation of the crystal axes relative to the specific sample shape.
You can have a thin silicon disc (wafer) and want to know which crystal direction is perpendicular to the face, for example. It can be 100 or 111 etc.

Related to Laue method for determining orientation

What is the Laue method for determining orientation?

The Laue method is a technique used in crystallography to determine the orientation of a crystal. It involves shining a beam of X-rays on a crystal and recording the diffraction pattern produced when the X-rays interact with the crystal's lattice structure.

How does the Laue method work?

The Laue method relies on the principle of diffraction, where X-rays are scattered in different directions when they interact with the atoms in a crystal. By analyzing the diffraction pattern produced, the orientation and symmetry of the crystal can be determined.

What are the advantages of using the Laue method?

The Laue method is a non-destructive technique that can be used to quickly determine the orientation and symmetry of a crystal. It can also be used on large crystals and can provide information about the internal structure of the crystal.

What are the limitations of the Laue method?

The Laue method is less accurate than other crystallographic techniques, such as the single crystal X-ray diffraction method. It also requires a well-oriented crystal to produce a clear and interpretable diffraction pattern.

What are some common applications of the Laue method?

The Laue method is commonly used in materials science, geology, and mineralogy to study the structure and properties of crystals. It is also used in the field of X-ray crystallography to determine the orientation of protein crystals for structural analysis.

Back