Launching an Object at 73 Degrees: Velocity Calculation

In summary: Thank you for your support!In summary, an object is launched at an angle of 73 degrees and reaches a maximum height of 47 meters. The magnitude of the object's velocity when its horizontal displacement is 23 meters is 10.61 m/s. This can be calculated using various equations, such as the initial vertical velocity equation and the equation for vertical displacement.
eestep

Homework Statement

An object is launched from ground at an angle of 73 degrees from horizontal and reaches a maximum height of 47 meters. What is magnitude of object's velocity when object's horizontal displacement is 23 meters? Answer in m/s. Answer is 10.61.
[tex]\theta[/tex]=73
[tex]\Delta[/tex]y=47m
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x=23m

Homework Equations

[tex]\Delta[/tex]y=v0y2/2g
[tex]\Delta[/tex]x=v0xt
vfx=v0x
[tex]\Delta[/tex]y=v0yt-1/2gt2
y=tan[tex]\theta[/tex]x-g/(2v02cos2[tex]\theta[/tex])*x2

The Attempt at a Solution

47=v0y2/(2*9.81)
v0y=[tex]\sqrt{}(2)(9.81)(47)[/tex]=30.37
30.37=v0sin73
v0=31.76
By using last equation, I got y=45.13, y coordinate when horizontal displacement is 23 meters.
vfy=[tex]\sqrt{}(30.37)2-(2*9.81*45.13)[/tex]=6.07
t=45.13
23=v0x*45.13
v0x=.51
v=6.09

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with your calc down to v0=31.76, but don't know where you got "y=45.13" or what it means. I didn't get the specified answer either, but maybe we can pool our work to find it!

initial horiz velocity = 31.76*cos(73) = 9.28
Time to x = 23: 23 = 9.28*t, so t = 2.477
vertical velocity at this time: Vy = Voy + at
Vy = 30.37-9.81*2.477 = 6.07
combined speed at time 2.477: v² = 9.28² + 6.07², v = 11.09

I understand a lot of times working with [tex] tags you may have to edit your post, but each time you do, you will see additional tags as below:

1. Homework Statement

2. Homework Equations

3. The Attempt at a Solution

For some reason the forum adds them again each time you edit your post, so be careful to just remove them.

Answer calculated is agreeable, but I can't understand what's posted beneath it. Are you willing to explain it to me?

eestep, please clarify what you are need help with (write it out fully).

I appreciate all of your help and attempted it again successfully.

FAQ: Launching an Object at 73 Degrees: Velocity Calculation

1. What is the formula for calculating the velocity of an object launched at 73 degrees?

The formula for calculating velocity is v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

2. How does the launch angle affect the velocity of an object?

The launch angle, or the angle at which an object is launched, plays a significant role in determining the velocity of the object. In the case of launching an object at 73 degrees, the velocity will be a combination of horizontal and vertical components, resulting in a higher velocity than if the object was launched at a lower angle.

3. What is the acceleration of an object launched at 73 degrees?

The acceleration of an object launched at 73 degrees will depend on several factors, including the air resistance and the weight of the object. However, in a vacuum, the acceleration due to gravity will be constant at -9.8 m/s^2, regardless of the launch angle.

4. How can we calculate the time of flight for an object launched at 73 degrees?

The time of flight is the time it takes for an object to reach its maximum height and return to its initial position. To calculate this for an object launched at 73 degrees, we can use the formula t = 2u sinΘ / g, where u is the initial velocity, Θ is the launch angle, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. What other factors should be taken into consideration when launching an object at 73 degrees?

When launching an object at 73 degrees, it is essential to consider the air resistance, weight of the object, and the launch surface. Air resistance can significantly affect the velocity and trajectory of the object, while the weight of the object will impact its acceleration. Additionally, the surface on which the object is launched can affect its stability and trajectory.

Back