Laurent Series and Singularity Proofs.

In summary, the conversation discusses proving statements related to a function f that is analytic and injective on a subset D of the complex numbers. The statements to be proven are: a) f has a non-essential singularity at a if a is in D and f is analytic and injective, b) if f has a pole at a, then it is a pole of order 1, and c) if f has a removable singularity at a, then the analytic extension of f to D is also one to one. The conversation also mentions using the Laurent series and the Big Picard Theorem to solve the problem.
moo5003

Homework Statement

Let D be a subset of C and D is open. Suppose a is in D and f:D\{a} -> C is analytic and injective. Prove the following statements:

a) f has in a, a non-essential singularity.
b) If f has a pole in a, then it is a pole of order 1.
c) If f has a removable singularity in a, then theanalytic extension of f to D is one to one too.

Homework Equations

Laurent Series
f(z) = h(1/z) + g(z) on the annulis.
a_n = 0 for all n<k for some k in Z if a is removable
a_n != 0 for infinite n<0 if a is essential

The Attempt at a Solution

a)I'm a little stumped at the moment. I've narrowed my goal down to showing that for some reason because f(z) is one to one that a_n goes to 0. My other guess was to assume that the sing. was essential but I'm not sure how to come up with a contradiction. Any hints you guys can provide would be helpful. :bugeye:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For essential singularities, look up the theorem known as "Little Picard". For pole singularities, the function near the pole behaves an awful lot like 1/(z-a)^n. Now remember a complex number has n n-th roots.

I think you meant to say use the Big Picard Theorem, but either way thanks for the tip it made the problem much more approachable. (Contradiction to injectivity arises since you can find two dotted disks that both map C or C\{b} for some b in C which implies that points map to the same thing =><= ). Thanks for your help

FAQ: Laurent Series and Singularity Proofs.

1. What is a Laurent series?

A Laurent series is a type of infinite power series that represents a complex function in a region containing both poles and branch points. It is an extension of a Taylor series, which only represents functions in regions without poles or branch points.

2. How is a Laurent series different from a Taylor series?

A Taylor series only represents a function in a region without poles or branch points, while a Laurent series can represent a function in a region containing both poles and branch points. Additionally, a Taylor series only has positive powers of the variable, while a Laurent series can have both positive and negative powers.

3. What are singularity proofs?

Singularity proofs are mathematical techniques used to prove the existence of a pole or a branch point in a complex function. These proofs involve analyzing the behavior of the function in a particular region and showing that it has a singularity at a certain point.

4. How are Laurent series and singularity proofs related?

Laurent series are often used in singularity proofs to represent the complex function in a region containing poles or branch points. The coefficients of the Laurent series can provide information about the type and location of the singularity. In turn, singularity proofs can help determine the coefficients of a Laurent series.

5. What are some applications of Laurent series and singularity proofs?

Laurent series and singularity proofs have various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. They are used to solve differential equations, analyze the behavior of physical systems, and model complex phenomena. They are also essential in the study of complex analysis, which has applications in many areas of science and engineering.