Layman's question about the application of the curvature to space

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of spacetime curvature and its effect on stationary objects. The analogy of a bowling ball on a rubber sheet is used to understand the curved trajectory of objects near massive objects like the sun or Earth. It is also mentioned that both stationary and free falling objects experience inertial acceleration, but the former compensates with proper acceleration. The concept of spacetime is also mentioned as the basis for general relativity's description of gravitation.
sngtdt
My question concerns the affect of the curvature of space on a stationary object. I understand that the force of gravity is more accurately described as space curvature. Ie, a massive object like the sun or Earth can be visualized as a bowling ball placed on a rubber sheet, creating a curvature. Objects passing nearby on a straight trajectory will then assume a curved trajectory. I am wondering if the same thing applies to stationary objects on the surface, like a person standing on the earth. How? The model of the bowling ball on a sheet makes it easy to understand the curved path a beam of light will assume passing a massive object. Is there a similar model for stationary objects? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
sngtdt said:
My question concerns the affect of the curvature of space on a stationary object. I understand that the force of gravity is more accurately described as space curvature. Ie, a massive object like the sun or Earth can be visualized as a bowling ball placed on a rubber sheet, creating a curvature. Objects passing nearby on a straight trajectory will then assume a curved trajectory. I am wondering if the same thing applies to stationary objects on the surface, like a person standing on the earth. How? The model of the bowling ball on a sheet makes it easy to understand the curved path a beam of light will assume passing a massive object. Is there a similar model for stationary objects? Thanks in advance.
Both the stationary and free falling object will encounter inertial acceleration, however the stationary object compensates this inertial acceleration with a proper acceleration in the opposite direction.

sngtdt said:
I understand that the force of gravity is more accurately described as spacetime curvature.
I have corrected the word "space" in your statement above. General relativity uses curved spacetime to describe gravitation, not just curved space. Are you familiar with the concept of "spacetime"?

Related to Layman's question about the application of the curvature to space

1. What is curvature in the context of space?

Curvature in the context of space refers to the idea that space itself can be bent or warped by the presence of mass or energy. This concept is a fundamental part of Einstein's theory of general relativity, which describes how gravity works on a large scale.

2. How does curvature affect objects in space?

Curvature can affect objects in space in a few different ways. First, it can cause objects with mass to be attracted to each other, creating the force of gravity. Second, it can cause light to travel along a curved path, which is known as gravitational lensing. Finally, curvature can also affect the overall shape and structure of the universe.

3. Can we observe curvature in space?

Yes, we can observe curvature in space through various phenomena such as the bending of starlight around massive objects, the orbits of planets around a star, and the expansion of the universe. These observations provide evidence for the existence of curvature in space.

4. How is curvature measured?

Curvature is measured using mathematical equations and concepts such as the Riemann curvature tensor. This allows scientists to quantify the amount of curvature in a given space. Additionally, observations and experiments can also provide measurements of curvature in specific situations.

5. What are the practical applications of understanding curvature in space?

Understanding curvature in space has many practical applications, including improving our understanding of gravity and the universe, predicting the behavior of objects in space, and developing technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise measurements of curvature to function accurately. It also allows us to explore and discover new phenomena in the universe, leading to advancements in science and technology.