Leading term of a power-series solution

• Thread starter StephvsEinst
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Term
In summary, the conversation discusses finding the power-series solution and leading term for a given ODE around a specific point, with m and l as constants. It is suggested to define f(θ) as g(sin(θ)) or g(sin(θ)) + h(cos(θ)) to make the equation easier. The final solution is found to be Θ(θ) = A_l^mP_l^m(cosθ), where P_l^m is the associated Legendre function.
StephvsEinst
Hey! I have a question: how can you find the power-series solution and its leading term of the following ODE around the point x=+-(1-b) (where b is near x):

$$-(1-x^2)\frac{\partial^2 f^m_l}{\partial x^2}+2x\frac{f^m_l}{\partial x}+\frac{m^2}{1-x^2}f^m_l=l(l+1)f^m_l ,$$

and m and l are constants.

EDIT: Let me ask a better question - how can you find the solution to the following ODE:

$$ sin(\theta)\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}(sin(\theta)\frac{\partial f(\theta)}{\partial \theta})+[l(l+1)sin^2(\theta)-m^2)]f(\theta)=0 $$

Thank you.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I didn't solve it, but defining f(θ)=g(sin(θ)) makes the equation easier. Maybe the more general f(θ)=g(sin(θ)) + h(cos(θ)) is even better.

I already solved it: it isn't an homonegeous ODE, so to calculate its power-series solution you substitute x=cos(θ)=sqrt(1-(sin(θ))^2). The solution is:

$$\Theta(\theta)=A_l^mP_l^m(x)$$

where
$$P_l^m(x)\equiv (1-x^2)^{\vert m \vert/2}\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)P_l(x)$$.
This is its associated Legendre function.

StephvsEinst said:
The solution is:

$$\Theta(\theta)=A_l^mP_l^m(x)$$

What I meant was that the solution is:
$$\Theta(\theta)=A_l^mP_l^m(cos\theta)$$

where

$$P_l^m(x)\equiv (1-x^2)^{\vert m \vert/2}\left(\frac{d}{dx}\right)P_l(x),$$

where

$$x=cos\theta.$$

Hello! Thank you for your question. The power-series method is a common technique used to solve ordinary differential equations (ODEs) around a given point. In this method, we assume that the solution can be expressed as a power series in the variable x, with unknown coefficients. The leading term of this series is the term with the highest power of x.

To find the power-series solution for the first ODE you provided, we can follow these steps:

1. Substitute the given power-series form into the ODE and equate the coefficients of each power of x to zero.

2. Solve the resulting system of equations to find the values of the coefficients.

3. Substitute these coefficients back into the power-series form to obtain the solution.

The leading term of this solution will be the term with the highest power of x.

Regarding your second question, the ODE you provided is known as the Legendre differential equation, which is commonly used in physics and engineering. The power-series method can also be used to find its solution. The leading term of this solution will depend on the values of the constants m and l.

I hope this helps answer your question. Let me know if you have any further doubts or need clarification. Good luck with your studies!

FAQ: Leading term of a power-series solution

What is the leading term of a power-series solution?

The leading term of a power-series solution is the term with the highest degree in the series. It is also known as the dominant term.

Why is the leading term important in a power-series solution?

The leading term determines the behavior of the entire series. It determines whether the series converges or diverges and provides information about the rate of convergence.

How do you find the leading term of a power-series solution?

To find the leading term, you can look at the term with the highest degree in the series. In some cases, you may need to use a known formula or method, such as the Ratio Test or the Root Test, to determine the leading term.

Can a power-series solution have more than one leading term?

No, a power-series solution can only have one leading term. This term represents the dominant behavior of the series and all other terms are considered to be smaller or insignificant in comparison.

What is the significance of the radius of convergence in relation to the leading term?

The radius of convergence is the distance from the center of the series where the series converges. The leading term plays a key role in determining the radius of convergence, as it can help determine whether the series will converge or diverge at a specific point.