Learn Calculus for Physics: Videos & Books

• Thread starter Patriciamsv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculus
In summary, this book covers the basics of calculus including limits, derivatives, integrals, and differentiability. It is a great resource for anyone looking to get started with calculus.
Patriciamsv
I am very interested in physics, and so naturally I would like to teach myself the necessities of calculus, in order to allow myself to understand physics more.

Could anybody recommend any videos or books I could get started with?

Physics news on Phys.org
I highly recommend "A first course in calculus" by Serge Lang. It is a very good book to learn calculus and it's really worth going through.

You might want to supplement it with videos of Khan academy. Be warned: the word is "supplement", do not use it as a primary resource! And don't forget doing a lot of calculus exercises, even the mere "drilling exercises".

A book you should eventually go through is Spivak's calculus. But I do not recommend this for a beginner. Go through Lang first to get an intuitive and conceptual feel of the theory. Then go through Spivak to get a more rigorous view of things.

Likes 1 person
If you wanted to go the e-course route, you could try:

Education portal
The Saylor foundation
Coursera
EdisonLearning
MIT Courseware

If you want to try free ebooks, you could try:

Calculus in Context
Calculus (Paul Dawkins)
Calculus(wikibooks)
Calculus: A Modern Rigorous Approach
Differential and Integral Calculus(C.E Love)
Calculus, Applications and Theory(Kenneth Kuttler)

These are just a few. Here are some links to some free calculus ebooks:

e-booksdirectory.com
Bookboon.com
Math and multimedia.com
Gutenberg.org
Free-books.net

You can use mit courseware. They have Calculus I and II and book aren't necessary.

you can buy Calculus by Thomas/Finney 9 edition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MccSGWZdM_A&list=ECF5E22224459D23D9&index=2, Calculus I by the University of Missouri - Kansas City

The Calculus Lifesaver:
All the Tools You Need to Excel at Calculus
by Adrian Banner.It includes videos to explain the material in the book.

I highly encourage your interest in learning calculus for physics. Calculus is a fundamental tool in understanding and solving complex problems in physics. I would recommend starting with a textbook such as "Calculus for Scientists and Engineers" by William Briggs and Lyle Cochran or "Calculus: Early Transcendentals" by James Stewart. These books provide a comprehensive introduction to calculus with applications to physics.

In addition, there are many online resources available such as Khan Academy and MIT OpenCourseWare that offer free videos and lectures on calculus for physics. These can be helpful in supplementing your learning from the textbook.

I also suggest practicing problems and working through examples to solidify your understanding of the concepts. This will help you apply calculus to real-world physics problems.

Remember, learning calculus takes time and patience, but with dedication and perseverance, you will be able to grasp the necessary skills to understand physics at a deeper level. Good luck in your studies!

FAQ: Learn Calculus for Physics: Videos & Books

1. What is the importance of learning calculus for physics?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that is essential for understanding and solving problems in physics. It allows us to analyze and model the behavior of physical systems using equations and graphs.

2. Do I need prior knowledge of calculus to learn it for physics?

While it is helpful to have a basic understanding of algebra and trigonometry, it is not necessary to have prior knowledge of calculus to learn it for physics. The concepts and techniques can be learned as you go along.

3. Can calculus be applied to all areas of physics?

Yes, calculus can be applied to all areas of physics, from classical mechanics to electromagnetism to quantum mechanics. It is a fundamental tool for understanding and analyzing the behavior of physical systems.

4. What resources are available for learning calculus for physics?

There are many resources available for learning calculus for physics, including textbooks, online videos, and practice problems. It is important to find a resource that works best for your learning style.

5. How long does it take to learn calculus for physics?

The time it takes to learn calculus for physics varies for each individual. It depends on your prior knowledge of math, your dedication to studying, and your ability to grasp the concepts. With consistent practice and effort, you can become proficient in calculus for physics in a matter of months.