Learn FORTRAN: Beginner's Guide

• Fortran
  • Thread starter Amok
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fortran
In summary, FORTRAN is a programming language used for scientific and technical computing, developed in the 1950s. It is still widely used today in various fields and can greatly enhance your ability to solve complex computational problems and work with large datasets. Prior programming experience is not necessary to learn FORTRAN, but having a basic understanding of programming concepts may be helpful. There are many resources available for learning FORTRAN, including books and online tutorials. The time it takes to learn FORTRAN depends on individual factors, but with consistent effort and practice, one can become proficient in the language in a few weeks to several months or years.
Amok
Guys, I need you help. Next week I'm starting a project that requires some knowledge of FORTRAN. My programming skills are pretty rusty, I was wondering if you knew a good beginner's guide to FORTRAN.

Technology news on Phys.org
Here are the basics
http://gershwin.ens.fr/vdaniel/Doc-Locale/Langages-Program-Scientific/Fortran/Tutorial/

Last edited:

Related to Learn FORTRAN: Beginner's Guide

1. What is FORTRAN and why should I learn it?

FORTRAN (short for Formula Translation) is a programming language used for scientific and technical computing. It was first developed in the 1950s and has since been widely used in fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. Learning FORTRAN can greatly enhance your ability to solve complex computational problems and work with large datasets.

2. Is FORTRAN still relevant in today's technology?

Yes, FORTRAN is still widely used in many scientific and technical fields. It has evolved over the years and has remained a popular choice for high-performance computing due to its efficiency and reliability. Many legacy codes and programs are also written in FORTRAN, making it essential for understanding and maintaining these systems.

3. Do I need any prior programming experience to learn FORTRAN?

No, you do not need any prior programming experience to learn FORTRAN. However, having a basic understanding of programming concepts and logic can make the learning process easier.

4. What resources are available for learning FORTRAN?

There are numerous resources available for learning FORTRAN, including online tutorials, books, and courses. Some popular books for beginners include "Fortran for Scientists and Engineers" by Stephen Chapman and "Modern Fortran: Style and Usage" by Norman S. Clerman and Walter Spector. Online resources such as tutorials on the official FORTRAN website and YouTube videos can also be helpful.

5. How long does it take to learn FORTRAN?

The time it takes to learn FORTRAN depends on your prior programming experience and the amount of time you dedicate to studying and practicing. With consistent effort and practice, you can learn the basics of FORTRAN in a few weeks. However, becoming proficient in the language may take several months or even years.