Learn How to Program a 555 Timer for 4 Second Intervals | Tips and Tricks

In summary, The conversation discusses the speaker's need to program a 555 timer for intervals of 4 seconds. They have tried a monostable circuit with a 36K resistor and 100uF capacitor, but it is only producing one pulse. Another speaker suggests using an astable circuit instead for multiple pulses. The original speaker expresses gratitude and mentions a website with demos for programming the 555 timer. They also mention seeking help from the community for further information.
Shahil
Hi!

I need to programme a 555 timer pulse with intervals of 4 secs. I've already tried connecting a monostable circuit I found on the net with values of a 36K resistor and 100uF capacitor but what's happening is it's going on for 4 seconds then off for the rest!

Here's the circuit that I tried working - anybody got anything better?? please :shy:

http://www.doctronics.co.uk/555.htm#monostable

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You're looking for multiple pulses like a clock? If so, look further up the page at the astable circuit. A monostable is just that - mono for 1 pulse! :smile:

Cliff_J said:
You're looking for multiple pulses like a clock? If so, look further up the page at the astable circuit. A monostable is just that - mono for 1 pulse! :smile:

:blushing: :rolleyes:

Hmm...I always thought I was dumb...now u've just proved it! Thanks dude - will get back to you later and I'll tell you if it works!

Hey, If you go onto
"www.crocadile-clips.com" there's pretty good demo's on programming a 555 timer programme in monostable operation. But you have to download the free trial.

I'm pretty sure there is enough talent on this board to tell you everything you want to know about the 555. Just ask.

Related to Learn How to Program a 555 Timer for 4 Second Intervals | Tips and Tricks

1. How do I program a 555 timer?

To program a 555 timer, you will need to connect it to a power source and ground, and then use resistors and capacitors to set the desired timing interval. You can also use external components such as diodes and transistors to modify the timer's behavior.

2. What is the difference between monostable and astable modes on a 555 timer?

Monostable mode is used to generate a single pulse of a specific duration, while astable mode is used to generate a continuous square wave output. In monostable mode, the timer is triggered by an external signal, while in astable mode, the timer continuously triggers itself.

3. How do I calculate the timing interval for a 555 timer?

The timing interval for a 555 timer can be calculated using the formula T = 1.1 x R1 x C1, where T is the timing interval in seconds, R1 is the resistance in ohms, and C1 is the capacitance in farads. You can also use online calculators or reference tables to determine the appropriate values for your desired timing interval.

4. Can I change the duty cycle of a 555 timer's output?

Yes, the duty cycle of a 555 timer can be modified by adjusting the values of the resistors and capacitors in the circuit. A higher duty cycle means the output will be high for a longer period of time, while a lower duty cycle means the output will be high for a shorter period of time.

5. What are some common applications for a 555 timer?

A 555 timer can be used in a variety of applications, such as in electronic toys, LED flashers, pulse generators, and tone generators. It can also be used in more complex circuits, such as in astable multivibrators and voltage-controlled oscillators.