Learn Probability Theory: Find a Book to Self-Study

In summary, the individual is looking for a book to self-study probability theory and is specifically interested in a book that is less advanced than Shiryaev's Graduate Text in Mathematics but still rigorous, such as Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis." They also mention wanting a book with answers or solutions available. Two suggested books are "An Introduction to Probability Theory and Its Applications" by William Feller and "A Natural Introduction to Probability Theory" by Piet Groeneboom and Jan Maas. Another book mentioned is "A Probability Path" by Sidney Resnick.
ehrenfest
What book should I get to learn probability theory by self-study? I bought Shiryaev's Graduate Text in Mathematics and the problem is that it just develops so much theory but then provides few exercises, making it really hard to self-study. I probably should have expected this though. So, I am looking for something a little less advanced than Shiryaev but still rigorous since I have a pretty strong math background (I have completed all the math major requirements). Something at the level of Rudin's "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" would be good. It would be nice if it had answers or solutions in the back of the book or somewhere on the internet also.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest (2 volumes) by William Feller. The exposition of the theory is clear and concise, and it contains many insightful worked examples and problems (with answers to selected problems in the back).

Last edited by a moderator:
When I did a course on probability theory, we used the book by Meester, A natural introduction to probability theory. I liked it because of the clear explanations and the heap of examples and exercises. Sample chapters also available for viewing in the link.

Has anyone used "A Probability Path" by Sidney Resnick?

Related to Learn Probability Theory: Find a Book to Self-Study

1. What is probability theory?

Probability theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of random events and their likelihood of occurrence. It is used to model and analyze uncertain situations and make predictions about the outcomes of these events.

2. Why is it important to learn probability theory?

Probability theory is important because it helps us make informed decisions in situations where there is uncertainty. It is widely used in various fields such as science, finance, economics, and engineering to make predictions and assess risks.

3. What are some good books for self-studying probability theory?

Some good books for self-studying probability theory include "Introduction to Probability" by Dimitri P. Bertsekas and John N. Tsitsiklis, "A First Course in Probability" by Sheldon Ross, and "Probability: For the Enthusiastic Beginner" by David Morin.

4. How can I effectively self-study probability theory?

To effectively self-study probability theory, it is important to have a solid understanding of basic mathematical concepts such as algebra and calculus. It is also helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples in the chosen textbook.

5. Are there any online resources for learning probability theory?

Yes, there are several online resources available for learning probability theory, such as online courses, video lectures, and interactive tutorials. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, Coursera, and MIT OpenCourseWare.