Learn the Meaning of Calculus Symbols | Explanation and Tutorial"

In summary, the speakers discuss the difficulty of learning calculus from the internet and recommend getting a good calculus book instead. They also explain the meaning of the symbols ∫ and ∇, but caution that without a solid understanding of calculus, it may not be helpful. They also mention the importance of understanding limits in calculus and suggest starting with differentiation and integration as a beginner.
The riddler
1. Hi, I am learning calculus off the interenet so that i may learn more advanced physics equations, but sadly I am being held back because i cannot find the meaning of the symbols without the explanation being based around some seemingly random equation like
∫ab x2 dx = b3/3 − a3/3 + blah blah Blah. So below I am going to post a few symbols that i want to learn and i don't understand, also can someone to explain to me on this youtube
what this guy is talking about in from 1:42 too 4:40. Please post the meaning of whichever one you can and thank you in advance :wink:.

2. ∫

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, we can certainly explain what each of these symbols mean but unless you have the requisite mathematical knowledge, it won't help you very much. I would recommend getting a good calculus book to learn these things - if you want to do advanced physics, you need to know calculus very well.

∫ is called the integral sign and there are a lot of ways to define it. Perhaps the most common way is by Riemann or Darboux sums (the latter are easier to understand). You can find a fairly superficial treatment of the concept here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integral

∇ is called the del operator (it's a differential opperator). However, I you haven't encountered integrals before, you probably shouldn't be working with the del operator. If you're really inclined a definition is given here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Del

From the video, it sounds like you're having difficulty with the limit concept. Intuitively, the limit of a function as x -> a is the value that the function approaches for x arbitrarily near a. For example, if f(x) = x/x, f(0) is undefined while lim (x -> 0) f(x) = 1.

It sounds like you really do need to get a good calculus book and learn these things. It won't do you much good to only get a superficial understanding of the concepts, especially if you want to pursue upper level physics.

Yeah your probably right, when i first saw calculus i tried to relate it to the algebra I've learned but Calculus seems to have something to it that seems quite alien to me that i have not come across it before. Thanks jgens.

Yes, I think you need a good calculus book for beginners, starting with differentiation and integration. If you're seeing del operators in the same place it's probably too difficult for you...for now.

Related to Learn the Meaning of Calculus Symbols | Explanation and Tutorial"

1. What is the meaning of the symbol "∫" in calculus?

The symbol "∫" in calculus represents the integral, which is a mathematical operation that calculates the area under a curve.

2. What does the symbol "dx" mean in calculus?

In calculus, the symbol "dx" stands for an infinitesimal change in the independent variable in a function. It is often used in integrals to indicate the variable of integration.

3. How is the symbol "Δx" used in calculus?

The symbol "Δx" is used in calculus to represent a finite change in the independent variable. It is often used in the calculation of derivatives, where it represents the change in x over which the derivative is being calculated.

4. What does the symbol "∂" mean in calculus?

In calculus, the symbol "∂" represents the partial derivative, which is a type of derivative that calculates the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding other variables constant.

5. What is the significance of the symbol "lim" in calculus?

The symbol "lim" in calculus stands for the limit, which is a fundamental concept that describes the behavior of a function as its input approaches a certain value. Limits are used to calculate derivatives and integrals, and are essential in understanding the behavior of functions.