Learn Thermodynamics of Material Purification & Entropy for Desalination

In summary, the value function, (2p-1)ln((p-1)/p), is of interest in the thermodynamics of material purification. It relates to the third kind of entropy, which is encountered in the separation of fissile uranium from fertile uranium and the separation of pure water from sea water. The speaker is seeking guidance for elementary texts on this topic.
richard1941
I was interested in the value function, (2p-1)ln((p-1)/p). It is of interest in the thermodynamics of material purification. Does anybody know where I can learn more about the statistical-mechanics underpinnings of this function?

Generally, I want to learn more about entropy. There are three flavors of entropy: (1) related to the concentration of heat in thermodynamics, (2) related to the concentration of probability in information theory (and possibly in quantum mechanics, too), and (3) the concentration of materials and the purity thereof.

The third kind of entropy is mostly encountered in the separation of fissile uranium from fertile uranium, but my interest is in the separaton of pure water from sea water. Particularly, is there a lower bound to the energy cost of desalination of sea water? If so, how close are the present RO and flash distillation systems to that lower bound?

Guidance to elementary texts is sought. I last studied thermo in 1963, so have mercy!

Physics news on Phys.org
Value theory is a branch of mathematical logic that studies the relationship between the values of mathematical objects and the objects themselves. It has applications in mathematical analysis, functional analysis, number theory, algebra, algebraic geometry, representation theory, set theory, combinatorics, and other areas. Value (or valuation) theory arose in the study of lattices in order to gain insight into the fundamental properties of lattices. As its name suggests, it studies how the values of mathematical objects are related to the objects themselves.

FAQ: Learn Thermodynamics of Material Purification & Entropy for Desalination

1. What is thermodynamics?

Thermodynamics is the branch of physics that deals with the relationship between heat, energy, and work. It studies how these factors interact and change in various systems.

2. How does thermodynamics relate to material purification?

Thermodynamics plays a crucial role in material purification by determining the most efficient processes to separate and purify materials, such as desalination of water. It helps in understanding and optimizing the energy requirements and limitations of these processes.

3. What is entropy and how does it affect desalination?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. In desalination, entropy is a key factor in determining the feasibility and efficiency of the process. The higher the entropy, the more energy is required to purify the material, making it a crucial factor for consideration in desalination.

4. How does desalination impact the environment?

Desalination can have both positive and negative impacts on the environment. On one hand, it provides a reliable source of clean drinking water in areas with limited access to freshwater. On the other hand, the process itself requires a significant amount of energy, which can contribute to air and water pollution. It is important to consider the environmental impact when implementing desalination projects.

5. What are some real-world applications of thermodynamics in desalination?

Some common real-world applications of thermodynamics in desalination include reverse osmosis, multi-stage flash distillation, and multi-effect distillation. These processes use the principles of thermodynamics to efficiently separate and purify materials, such as salt from seawater, to produce clean drinking water.

Back