Learning c++ for math, CFD, etc.

• Thread starter Mech2013
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++ Cfd
In summary: Certainly, you are welcome (I think the price is set due to the size of the codes provided on the CD supplied with the book).Actually, there is a number of books on Amazon covering general topics like "C++ for scientists and engineers", "numerical methods in C++", etc.; you might search for a suitable book just using those keywords. Hopefully you will find one that suits your interests.
Mech2013
When I took such courses I suffered due to the fact that I could not code/program. My friends and professors knew how to make 1-D or 2-D grids for heat transfer problems, writing calculus formulas and differential equations in code. How can I learn this? I already know how to solve these problems by hand. Which books are recommended to learn to write in c++ something such as a grid based on nodes in a generic CFD problem for 1D or 2D steady state heat conduction of (for example) a steel rod or something simple like writing the definite integral of f(x)dx from 3 to 5 when f(x) = x^2. Are there any texts out there that teach you how to translate math/physics problems to c++ or making a grid for a CFD problem in c++?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are interested in learning scientific programming in C++ on the truly professional level, you might consider the following book that is dealing with programming of problems related to stress analysis of shells (a very common engineering problem):
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~comecau/quad_shell.htm

The book contains all relevant mathematics and the complete source codes implementing the algorithms described in the book. (The book is available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646930818/?tag=pfamazon01-20 )

Hope this helps.

NumericalFEA said:
Since you are interested in learning scientific programming in C++ on the truly professional level, you might consider the following book that is dealing with programming of problems related to stress analysis of shells (a very common engineering problem):
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~comecau/quad_shell.htm

The book contains all relevant mathematics and the complete source codes implementing the algorithms described in the book. (The book is available on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0646930818/?tag=pfamazon01-20 )

Hope this helps.
This is good. I took three finite element courses, but we used MATLAB and my professor always had to help me code. I always wanted to learn FEA in c++ instead. The price is a bit too extravagant though. I can easily afford it, but still. I'll wait until I have fully understood the basics of c++ before buying it. Thanks for the suggestion.

Mech2013 said:
This is good. I took three finite element courses, but we used MATLAB and my professor always had to help me code. I always wanted to learn FEA in c++ instead. The price is a bit too extravagant though. I can easily afford it, but still. I'll wait until I have fully understood the basics of c++ before buying it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Certainly, you are welcome (I think the price is set due to the size of the codes provided on the CD supplied with the book).
Actually, there is a number of books on Amazon covering general topics like "C++ for scientists and engineers", "numerical methods in C++", etc.; you might search for a suitable book just using those keywords. Hopefully you will find one that suits your interests.

Related to Learning c++ for math, CFD, etc.

What is the importance of learning C++ for math and CFD?

C++ is a high-level programming language that is widely used in the fields of math and CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics). It is a powerful and efficient language that allows for the creation of complex mathematical algorithms and simulations. By learning C++, you will have the ability to develop advanced numerical methods and models, which are essential for solving problems in these fields.

What are the key concepts to understand when learning C++ for math and CFD?

Some of the key concepts to understand when learning C++ for math and CFD include control structures, data types, arrays, functions, classes, and object-oriented programming. It is also important to have a strong understanding of mathematical principles and problem-solving techniques in order to effectively apply C++ in these fields.

What resources are available for learning C++ for math and CFD?

There are numerous resources available for learning C++ for math and CFD, including online tutorials, textbooks, and courses. It is also helpful to practice coding and problem-solving on your own or with a group, as well as seeking guidance from experienced programmers or mentors.

How does learning C++ for math and CFD differ from learning it for other purposes?

Learning C++ for math and CFD may require a greater emphasis on mathematical concepts and problem-solving strategies, as well as a deeper understanding of the mathematical algorithms and models used in these fields. It may also involve learning additional libraries and tools specific to math and CFD applications.

What are some potential career opportunities for those who are proficient in C++ for math and CFD?

Proficiency in C++ for math and CFD opens up a range of career opportunities, including but not limited to, software development, data analysis, numerical modeling, and simulation engineering. These skills are in high demand in industries such as aerospace, automotive, energy, and finance.