Learning differential equations

In summary: Simmons is a bit more rigorous in his approach, and he doesn't cover some of the more modern methods that are now available.Since there is so much to learn you should narrow things down a bit. You should also think of what you want to accomplish. Do you want to solve random equations for no particular reason? Do you want to solve equations with some particular application? Do you want to solve equations of general mathematical interest? Are you more interested in exact or approximate methods? Ordinary or partial differential equations? Some things you might consider-boundary layer and asymptotic/perturbative methods-complex variable methods-numerical methods (your book has some)-further families
Physics news on Phys.org
The book seems fairly comprehensive. Usually, more advanced books won't really be about solving ODE's anymore, but rather about showing uniqueness and existence of solutions and about qualitative analysis of the solutions we cannot find analytically.

Why do you think your book is incomplete? What kind of methods would you like to learn?

I really like the following book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070575401/?tag=pfamazon01-20 But I don't think there's much in there about finding specific solutions that isn't in the book you linked.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a short basic book, so of course there is a lot more to learn.Since there is so much to learn you should narrow things down a bit. You should also think of what you want to accomplish. Do you want to solve random equations for no particular reason? Do you want to solve equations with some particular application? Do you want to solve equations of general mathematical interest? Are you more interested in exact or approximate methods? Ordinary or partial differential equations?

Some things you might consider
-boundary layer and asymptotic/perturbative methods
-complex variable methods
-numerical methods (your book has some)
-further families of equations
-more with transform methods (I do know any good books on this)
-special and hypergeometric function methods
-more about linear equations with variable coefficients

Here are a few books I have found useful at times, try to flip through them at a library.
Ordinary Differential Equations by Edward L. Ince
general good old fashioned book
Ordinary Differential Equations in the Complex Domain by Einar Hille
complex methods
Elementary Differential Equations by Earl D. Rainville
similar to your book, but with some different topics
Intermediate Differential Equations by Earl D. Rainville
not as good as the first book, but covering more topics
Theory of Differential Equations by Andrew Russell Forsyth
very old fashioned and several volumes
Handbook of Exact Solutions for Ordinary Differential Equations by Valentin F. Zaitsev and Andrei D. Polyanin
gives a good variety of equations
an example
$$x^3\cos^n(x) \mathrm{y}^{\prime\prime\prime}+a\, x^2 \mathrm{y}^{\prime\prime}+x[a-\cos^n(x)]\mathrm{y}^{\prime}+a[a-3\cos^n(x)]\mathrm{y}=0$$
is easy to solve if you know how
can be solved in principle with basic methods you already know
is unlikely to come up for most people

micromass said:
The book seems fairly comprehensive. Usually, more advanced books won't really be about solving ODE's anymore, but rather about showing uniqueness and existence of solutions and about qualitative analysis of the solutions we cannot find analytically.

Why do you think your book is incomplete? What kind of methods would you like to learn?

I really like the following book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0070575401/?tag=pfamazon01-20 But I don't think there's much in there about finding specific solutions that isn't in the book you linked.
I used, and still have, the 1972 edition of George Simmons's, Differential Equations with Applications and Historical Notes, which was one of the books in McGraw-Hill's International Series in Pure and Applied Mathematics. The text was revised in 1991, which is cited by micromass. I concur with micromass's assessment.

Last edited by a moderator:

There are many great books that can help you learn methods of solutions for differential equations beyond what is covered in your current textbook. Some popular options include "Differential Equations: An Introduction to Modern Methods and Applications" by James R. Brannan and William E. Boyce, "Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems" by William E. Boyce and Richard C. DiPrima, and "A First Course in Differential Equations" by J. David Logan. It's also worth looking into online resources such as Khan Academy or MIT OpenCourseWare for additional learning materials. Ultimately, the best book for you will depend on your specific needs and learning style, so I recommend browsing a few different options and seeing which one resonates with you the most.

FAQ: Learning differential equations

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes how a quantity changes over time, based on its current value and the rate at which it is changing.

2. Why do we need to learn differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model many real-world phenomena, such as population growth, motion of objects, and chemical reactions. Understanding differential equations allows us to make predictions and solve problems in a variety of fields, including physics, engineering, and economics.

3. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and using integration or differential operators. There are also numerical methods for approximating solutions to more complex differential equations.

4. How can I apply differential equations in my research or field of study?

Differential equations can be applied in a wide range of fields, including biology, chemistry, economics, and engineering. They can be used to model and understand the behavior of systems and make predictions about their future behavior.

5. Are there any resources or tools that can help with learning differential equations?

There are many resources available for learning differential equations, including textbooks, online courses, and interactive software. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and working through examples to improve understanding and proficiency in using differential equations.