Learning Integrals with the Graph of y=x^2

In summary, learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2 serves the purpose of deepening one's understanding of integration, which is crucial in various fields of science and engineering. The graph of y=x^2 relates to integrals as it represents a parabola and the area under it can be calculated using integrals. The key steps in learning include understanding the concept, notation, and practicing with examples. The techniques learned can be applied to other types of integrals as well. Resources such as textbooks, online tutorials, and tutoring can aid in learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2.
Stephanus
Dear PF Forum,
I'd like to study integral.
But I just realize that I'm lack of basic integral.
Can I ask here?
Let y=x2
Here is the graph.
mike1.2.jpg

So,
1. dx is the distance between the red vertical lines? But it's very, very, very small distance.
2. f(x) * dx is the yellow area?
3. ##\int_0^2 x^2\,dx## is the green (plus yellow) area?
4. And one more thing. The blue line function can be derived from the derivative of f(x)?
For example the derivative of x2 is 2x. So a line that crosses (x,f(x)) where x=1 is 2.
The blue line function is y = 2x.
If it crosses (x,f(x)) where x = 2, then the blue line function is y = 4x?
Thank you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
Stephanus said:
Dear PF Forum,
I'd like to study integral.
But I just realize that I'm lack of basic integral.
Can I ask here?
Let y=x2
Here is the graph.
View attachment 108202
So,
1. dx is the distance between the red vertical lines? But it's very, very, very small distance.
We usually call this ##\Delta x##.
Stephanus said:
If ##x_i## is a number in the subinterval at the base of the yellow region, then ##f(x_i)\Delta x## is the area of a rectangle that is approximately equal to the area of the yellow region. The smaller the value of ##\Delta x##, the better the approximation is. Here we are approximating a roughly trapezoidal shape by one with a rectangular shape.
Stephanus said:
Yes
Stephanus said:
4. And one more thing. The blue line function can be derived from the derivative of f(x)?
For example the derivative of x2 is 2x. So a line that crosses (x,f(x)) where x=1 is 2.
The blue line doesn't "cross" the curve -- it touches it at the point of tangency.
Stephanus said:
The blue line function is y = 2x.
If it crosses (x,f(x)) where x = 2, then the blue line function is y = 4x?
No. The slope of the tangent line (what you're calling the blue line) is 4, but if you draw this line you'll see that the tangent line intersects the y-axis below the origin. The line whose slope is 4, that is tangent to the graph of y = x2 at (2, 4), has this equation: y = 4x - 4.

Likes Stephanus
EDIT: Sorry. I took a break before submitting and this is mostly a repeat of @Mark44's answer above.
Stephanus said:
Yes.
Yes. But there is a small range of x values in that short dx, so you pick one, say x0, in that range and use f(x0)) * dx as the approximation of the yellow area. As dx gets smaller, the approximation gets better.
Yes.
The derivative f(x0) only gives you the slope of the line tangent at x0. So figuring out the constant term of the line is still required.
Except for the constant. In general, the equation of the tangent line is f'(x0) * (x-x0) + f(x0)

Likes Stephanus
Mark44 said:
We usually call this ##\Delta x##.
Yes, I think it's just semantic here. I usually see f(u) du or F(v) dv.
But delta is more appropriate I think. The difference, right?
Thanks.
Mark44 said:
If ##x_i## is a number in the subinterval at the base of the yellow region, then ##f(x_i)\Delta x## is the area of a rectangle that is approximately equal to the area of the yellow region. The smaller the value of ##\Delta x##, the better the approximation is. Here we are approximating a roughly trapezoidal shape by one with a rectangular shape.
Trapezoidal shape looks very similar to rectangle. Thanks.
Mark44 said:
Stephanus said:
Yes
Thanks
Mark44 said:
The blue line doesn't "cross" the curve -- it touches it at the point of tangency.
Yes, I should have drawn it more clearly. What I was going to draw is that the blue line did touch the curve. It touches not crosses. Thanks
Mark44 said:
No. The slope of the tangent line (what you're calling the blue line) is 4, but if you draw this line you'll see that the tangent line intersects the y-axis below the origin. The line whose slope is 4, that is tangent to the graph of y = x2 at (2, 4), has this equation: y = 4x - 4.
Yes, I should have drawn it below the origin. Thanks. So it is slope? In high school we call it gradient.

Now I can at least read any reference about integration.
THanks.

Thanks @FactChecker . I suspect that all the answer should be yes. But I need confirmation. I'm going to read some calculus source. Thanks.

Stephanus said:
Thanks. So it is slope? In high school we call it gradient.
Here the meanings are the same, but the term "gradient" is also used in functions of two or more variables, and in that context, the gradient of f (denoted ##\nabla f##) is a vector that consists of the partial derivatives of f. For example, for a function f(x, y, z), ##\nabla f## is the vector ## <\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial y}, \frac{\partial f}{\partial z}>## .

Likes Stephanus and FactChecker
Mark44 said:
the gradient of f (denoted ##\nabla f##) is a vector that consists of the partial derivatives of f.
I would only add that the gradient vector points in the direction of fastest increase of the function and its magnitude is the slope in that direction.

Related to Learning Integrals with the Graph of y=x^2

1. What is the purpose of learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2?

Understanding integrals is crucial for many fields of science and engineering, and the graph of y=x^2 is a commonly used example to help visualize and understand the concept. Learning integrals with this graph can help deepen your understanding of the fundamental principles of integration.

2. How does the graph of y=x^2 relate to integrals?

The graph of y=x^2 represents a parabola, and the area under a parabola can be calculated using integrals. By learning how to find the area under the curve of y=x^2, you can apply the same principles to calculate the area under any curve.

3. What are the key steps in learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2?

The key steps include understanding the concept of integration, learning the notation and rules for calculating integrals, and practicing with various examples using the graph of y=x^2 to gain a better understanding of the concept.

4. Can learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2 be applied to other types of integrals?

Yes, the principles and techniques learned with the graph of y=x^2 can be applied to other types of integrals. While the graph of y=x^2 is a helpful tool for visualizing and understanding integrals, the concepts and rules can be applied to any type of integral.

5. Are there any resources available to help with learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2?

Yes, there are many resources available, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems, that can help with learning integrals with the graph of y=x^2. It can also be helpful to consult with a math tutor or attend a workshop to receive personalized instruction and support.