Learning Intro PDE: Farlow vs Hillen vs Pinsky

• Thread starter LoganS
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Intro Pde
In summary, the speaker is a senior math undergraduate taking an introduction to partial differential equations course. They are currently using the book by Farlow, but are looking for additional resources with more examples and a focus on physical interpretation. They mention two potential books and ask for recommendations based on their major. Another person recommends a book by Asmar for its application-focused approach, while suggesting looking into math methods for physics/engineering books for more examples. They also suggest checking out the free book by Nearing for additional resources.
LoganS
So I am currently a math undergraduate (senior though) taking an introduction partial differential equations. We are using the PDE book by Farlow (Dover reprint). It seems to be a solid book though my professor does diverge from the methods used in it fairly regularly (like not making assumptions they do, utilizing newer techniques, and small stuff like different notation).

I was wondering if anybody here had a recommendation on what another good intro book would be? I mainly want something that has more examples and problems to work, and a good explanation with respect to physical interpretation.

Two books I found are:
1) Partial Differential Equations: Theory and Completely Solved Problems by Hillen et al.
Pro: From the pages you are shown on Amazon they seem to utilize identical methods and notation as my class does.

2) Partial Differential Equations and Boundary-value Problems With Applications by Pinsky
Pro: I used a book from the same series for my intro to real analysis, and I liked it.

Any recommendations or comments would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you taking this course for physics major or math major or engineer major?

Cause accordingly the suggestions will be offered.

I am a math major. Sorry about that I'll edit the post to include it.

I used Partial Differential Equations with Fourier Series and Boundary Value Problems by Asmar. I liked it for a first course in PDE. Heavily focused on application side with some theory thrown in and if all you're looking for is method for solving some PDE with some motivation it served its purpose rather well.

Farlow is the most intuitive and relaxed PDE book I am aware of. Most books have much more theory, proofs, discussions of Sturm-Liouville theory, etc. So if you are looking for a few examples along the lines of Farlow perhaps math methods for physics / engineering type books may be the place to look. Check your library for titles like, "advanced engineering math" or "math methods for physicists". One example is the very good (and free!) book by Nearing:

http://www.physics.miami.edu/~nearing/mathmethods/

jason

Related to Learning Intro PDE: Farlow vs Hillen vs Pinsky

1. Which textbook is better for learning introductory PDE: Farlow, Hillen, or Pinsky?

It ultimately depends on your personal learning style and preferences. Farlow's "Partial Differential Equations for Scientists and Engineers" is a popular choice for its clear explanations and numerous examples. Hillen's "Partial Differential Equations" is known for its rigorous and mathematical approach. Pinsky's "Introduction to Partial Differential Equations" is a good balance of theory and applications. It is recommended to browse through each textbook and choose the one that best suits your needs.

2. Do these textbooks cover the same topics in introductory PDE?

Yes, all three textbooks cover the fundamental concepts and techniques in introductory PDE such as classification of PDEs, separation of variables, method of characteristics, and Fourier series. However, each textbook may have a different emphasis or approach to these topics.

3. How difficult are these textbooks for someone with no background in PDE?

All three textbooks assume some familiarity with calculus and basic linear algebra. However, they are designed for students with little or no prior knowledge of PDE. The difficulty level may vary depending on your mathematical background and study habits.

4. Are there any supplemental materials available for these textbooks?

Yes, many instructors and students have created online resources, study guides, and practice problems for these textbooks. Additionally, some of the textbooks may have accompanying solution manuals or online lecture videos.

5. Can these textbooks be used for self-study or are they better suited for a classroom setting?

These textbooks can be used for both self-study and in a classroom setting. They are designed to be self-contained and provide thorough explanations and examples. However, a classroom setting may provide additional support and opportunities for discussion and practice problems.