Learning Logs: Solving y=.70+.59x

• Thread starter Jemal
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to teach themselves logs for a statistics quiz and is struggling with taking the logarithm of both sides of the equation y=.70+.59x. They are unsure of what to do with log(.59x) and are looking for clarification on how to simplify the equation.
Jemal
I'm trying to teach myself logs for a statistics quiz... I know this is probably easy but i never really learned logs.

Homework Statement

I have to take the logarithm of both side of y=.70 + .59x

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

y=.70+.59x

So i get Logy= Log.70 + Log (.59x)
Logy = -.1549 + log.59x

I don't know what to do with the log(.59x) Can i separate the .59 and the x somehow?

Physics news on Phys.org
Jemal said:
y=.70+.59x

So i get Logy= Log.70 + Log (.59x)

No. You can't do this. We only know that log(ab) = log(a) + log(b). The correct equation is:

Log(y) = Log(.70+.59x)

What is it you're trying to do?

gb7nash said:
No. You can't do this. We only know that log(ab) = log(a) + log(b). The correct equation is:

Log(y) = Log(.70+.59x)

What is it you're trying to do?

I just need to take the log of both sides and simplify.

So I get log(y) = log(.70+.59x)

I can't seem to find any laws of logs that let's me simplify log(.70+.59x)

Is that how the equation can be left?

Pretty much. There's not much else you can do with that equation.

gb7nash said:
Pretty much. There's not much else you can do with that equation.

ok thanks a bunch

Jemal said:
I have to take the logarithm of both side of y=.70 + .59x
Why do you think you need to do this? What's the context from which this arises?

FAQ: Learning Logs: Solving y=.70+.59x

1. What is the purpose of using a learning log for solving y=.70+.59x?

The purpose of using a learning log for solving y=.70+.59x is to track your thought process and progress as you work through the equation. It allows for self-reflection and can help identify areas of confusion or areas that need more practice.

2. How do I set up a learning log for solving y=.70+.59x?

To set up a learning log, you will need a notebook or digital document to record your work. Begin by writing down the equation y=.70+.59x and label it as the problem you are working on. Then, document each step you take to solve the equation, including any notes or thoughts you have along the way.

3. What information should be included in a learning log for solving y=.70+.59x?

In a learning log for solving y=.70+.59x, you should include the equation, any steps or strategies used to solve it, any mistakes or errors made, and any reflections or insights gained during the process. You may also include any additional notes or questions you have about the equation or concept.

4. How often should I update my learning log for solving y=.70+.59x?

It is recommended to update your learning log for solving y=.70+.59x after each time you work on the equation. This will allow you to track your progress and thought process more accurately. However, you may also choose to update it at the end of a study session or when you feel you have made significant progress.

5. How can a learning log for solving y=.70+.59x help improve my understanding of the equation?

A learning log for solving y=.70+.59x can help improve your understanding by allowing you to track your thought process and identify any areas of confusion or difficulty. It also serves as a reference for future study and can help you identify strategies that work best for you. By regularly updating your learning log, you can also monitor your progress and see how your understanding of the equation improves over time.