Lecturer vs Professor: Can You Teach Without a PhD?

• Thread starter skwissgaar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary, there are several differences between a lecturer and a professor in the US university system. A lecturer is typically a non-tenure track teaching position that requires more teaching than research. It is possible to become a lecturer with a PhD in physics, and some schools do hire full-time lecturers. However, these positions may have low pay and job security. Another option is to teach at a community college, where research is not required. However, these positions are also limited and may not provide a stable career path. Ultimately, becoming a professor at a four-year university, where both teaching and research are expected, may provide more opportunities for career advancement.
skwissgaar
Hello! I have just a quick question for the PF community. What are the major differences between a lecturer and a professor in the US university? Reason I ask is because I'm interested in becoming a teacher and earning a PhD in physics, however I'm not too interested in the research part of being a professor.

Is it possible for one to become just a lecturer in physics at any small/big research university/liberal arts college?

Physics news on Phys.org
If you're not interested in research, then doing a PhD isn't a good idea. If you're not passionate about research, then you're going to have an awful time as a grad student.

I'm sorry that I did not answer your question, but I needed to say this.

The answer is yes it is possible. A high school teacher, who lives near me, does this for a University. He comes in a few nights a week and teaches one or maybe two lower level classes a semester (ie college algebra or pre-calc.) So in that regards, I've seen it done, but it isn't exactly a career, more like a hobby that pays.

I think I should have been more clear. I'm interested in grad school and earning a PhD through research, though after completing the required research and earning a PhD, is it possible to earn to a lecture position without required research?

"What are the major differences between a lecturer and a professor in the US university?"

A lecturer is usually similar to an adjunct professor in the US. These jobs tend to be low pay, low job security, and have weak benefits. Having a PhD in physics will certainly qualify you for one of these jobs.

Not all schools hire lecturers, but when they do, they are full time, non-tenure-track teaching positions that require more teaching than a tenure track professor and don't require research. So it's something you could aim for, but there aren't a ton of those positions out there (not that there are a lot of faculty jobs either right now). The other thing to consider is teaching at a community college, where even tenured professors are not required to do research.

eri said:
Not all schools hire lecturers, but when they do, they are full time, non-tenure-track teaching positions that require more teaching than a tenure track professor and don't require research.

One of my friends in grad school did that. After he finished his PhD, he stayed as a lecturer for a few years, doing the big lecture sections for the intro physics courses and supervising the grad students who did the recitation sections. Then he went off to Italy to work at an (English-language) American school there, and I don't know what happened to him after that.

The other thing to consider is teaching at a community college, where even tenured professors are not required to do research.

There are also four-year liberal-arts colleges where the main duty is teaching. Unlike the other situations described above, you'll have to teach courses from freshman to senior level, supervise student projects, etc. Most such schools nowadays expect professors to do some research, although not at the "research factory" level. It's usually intended to provide students with research opportunities, and to keep you yourself from becoming stale. It varies with the school. Generally, the more prestigious the school and the better the students, the more seriously they take research in terms of requirements for promotion and tenure.

skwissgaar said:
Hello! I have just a quick question for the PF community. What are the major differences between a lecturer and a professor in the US university? Reason I ask is because I'm interested in becoming a teacher and earning a PhD in physics, however I'm not too interested in the research part of being a professor.

Is it possible for one to become just a lecturer in physics at any small/big research university/liberal arts college?

Have you considered teaching at a community college? They generally require a Master's but I'm seeing more and more PhDs in those positions. Mostly they're folks like you, who want to put their efforts towards teaching.

I think I should have been more clear. I'm interested in grad school and earning a PhD through research, though after completing the required research and earning a PhD, is it possible to earn to a lecture position without required research?

You need a masters at minimum. The professor I TAed for was a lab lecturer and he didnt earn his PhD until many years after lecturing.

You can become a lecturer but it rarely pays well, and seems to be a stepping-stone type career path between grad student and 'real job' for most of the people I know who did it. Most of the people I know who went that route were able to do it because they had influential collaborators or advisers who had the pull to get a position put together for them at the school where they did their phd.

And while there are community college teaching jobs available, for which you don't need to do research, they are small and shrinking. My local community college no longer has full-time physics professors, instead relying entirely on adjuncts (adjunct position are less like jobs and more like low-paid hobbies).

FAQ: Lecturer vs Professor: Can You Teach Without a PhD?

1. What is the main difference between a lecturer and a professor?

A lecturer is typically someone who teaches at a university or college, but does not hold a PhD degree. They may have a master's degree or extensive experience in their field. On the other hand, a professor is someone who holds a PhD degree and is recognized as an expert in their field. They have typically conducted research and published their findings.

2. Can a lecturer teach the same courses as a professor?

Yes, a lecturer can teach the same courses as a professor. However, the level of expertise and depth of knowledge may differ between the two. Professors are expected to have a more comprehensive understanding of the subject matter, as they have completed extensive research and have a higher level of education.

3. Is a PhD necessary to become a successful lecturer or professor?

No, a PhD is not necessary to become a successful lecturer or professor. While a PhD can provide a deeper understanding of a particular subject, there are many successful lecturers and professors who do not hold a PhD. Experience, knowledge, and teaching skills are also important factors in becoming a successful educator.

4. Are there any advantages to having a PhD as a lecturer or professor?

Having a PhD can provide advantages for both lecturers and professors. It can enhance their credibility and expertise in their field, allowing them to teach at a higher level and potentially attract more students. Additionally, having a PhD can open up opportunities for research and publication, which can further advance their career.

5. Can you become a professor without first being a lecturer?

Yes, it is possible to become a professor without first being a lecturer. However, this path is less common and typically requires a higher level of education and experience. Professors are often hired based on their research and publication record, rather than their teaching experience.