LED's classes of radinat intensity and total radiant flux

In summary, LED manufacturers often specify groups/classes of radiant intensity in their datasheets, such as the example of SFH 4258 from Osram with four groups ranging from 50 to 250 mW/sr. This does not affect the total radiant flux, which remains the same in all groups. The radiant intensity groups are a result of chip position tolerances during manufacturing, and misalignment of the chip and lens can decrease the collimation and radiant intensity, but it is not clear how it affects the half angle.
vst98
I found that for some LED's manufacturers specify groups/classes of radinat intensity in their datasheets.
For example SFH 4258 from Osram http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XP..., Lead (Pb) Free Product - RoHS Compliant.pdf
has four groups, going from 50 to 250 mW/sr. Does this mean that the total radiant flux (70 mW) also has a spread related to these four groups or remains the same.

Physics news on Phys.org
vst98 said:
I found that for some LED's manufacturers specify groups/classes of radinat intensity in their datasheets.
For example SFH 4258 from Osram http://www.osram-os.com/Graphics/XPic0/00101891_0.pdf/SFH 4258, Lead (Pb) Free Product - RoHS Compliant.pdf
has four groups, going from 50 to 250 mW/sr. Does this mean that the total radiant flux (70 mW) also has a spread related to these four groups or remains the same.

Pardon me for asking, but what is a "Strahlstärke"?

My German is a bit rusty.

OmCheeto said:

I think it is German term for radinat intensity.

OmCheeto said:

It looks as if the half angle stays the same and the total radiant flux varies according to the group.

Here are some of my thoughts, any remarks are welcome.
I assume that radiant intensity is the radiant intensity which is measured on the optical axis of the lens on the housing.

What is the cause of radiant intensity groups ?

Radiant intensity groups are result of the chip position tolerances.
When the chip is encapsulated in a package, during manufacturing process,
the chip and the focal point of the lens are not aligned optimally.

Does the total radiant flux change from group to group ?

No, it remains the same in all of the radiant intensity groups.
Misalignment of the chip and the lens will not significantly influence the total output flux.But if the radiant intensity can change from 50 to 250 mW/sr can you also expect
considerable tolerances in the half angle, doesn't this mean that 3D cone in which the radiation is emitted
has an offset from the optical axis of the lens ?

Huh, not sure about that. I think that if the chip is misaligned (shifted or inclined to the focal point)
the cone of the emitted radiation will still lie on the optical axis, the lens will act as a corrector.
But the collimation by the lens wold be reduced which gives decrease in the radiant intensity.
Not sure how this affects the half angle.

Related to LED's classes of radinat intensity and total radiant flux

1. What are the different classes of LED radiant intensity?

The different classes of LED radiant intensity are classes A, B, C, D, and E. These classes are based on the radiant intensity value of the LED, with class A being the highest and class E being the lowest.

2. How is the radiant intensity of an LED measured?

The radiant intensity of an LED is measured in units of watts per steradian (W/sr). This unit represents the power output of the LED in a specific direction, taking into account the solid angle of that direction.

3. What is the total radiant flux of an LED?

The total radiant flux of an LED is the total amount of power emitted by the LED in all directions. It is measured in units of watts (W) and is calculated by multiplying the radiant intensity by the solid angle of the LED.

4. How do the different classes of radiant intensity affect the performance of an LED?

The different classes of radiant intensity can affect the performance of an LED in terms of brightness and efficiency. LEDs with higher radiant intensity (class A) will be brighter and more efficient compared to LEDs with lower radiant intensity (class E).

5. Can the radiant intensity and total radiant flux of an LED be controlled?

Yes, the radiant intensity and total radiant flux of an LED can be controlled through various methods such as adjusting the driving current, using different lens designs, and optimizing the LED chip structure. These methods can help achieve the desired level of brightness and efficiency for the LED.