Legal Implications of Sharing Intimate Photos: What You Need to Know

• Thread starter aychamo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pictures
In summary, the legality and ownership of compromising photos depends on who owns the copyright and whether permission has been given by all parties involved. Privacy laws may also come into play. Morality is also a factor to consider when deciding what to do with these photos.
aychamo
I'm just curious ..

Say you have pictures of you and your other in compromising positions. What are the legal things with the pictures? If you both have them, are you free to do whatever you want? Or what?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's all down to who owns the copyright, which I think is usually the photographer.

Surely the photographer can't hold the copyright of the picture without the permission of the photographed subjects?

Crumbles said:
Surely the photographer can't hold the copyright of the picture without the permission of the photographed subjects?

That's not an issue here. Permission is a given.

I always wonder about TV shows, because sometimes they'll blur out peoples faces, but sometimes they don't.

Like the news, they'll show a large crowd and all their faces appear and they don't get the peoples approval. But sometimes you have to have approval. Anyway, in the circumstance I'm talking about permission is given.

Crumbles said:

There are privacy laws to stop abuses, but I'm pretty sure that a photgraph is the intellectual property of the photographer.

Is that the case even if under 18s are subjects in the photographs? They always seem to blur out kids in newspapers and reports.

aychamo said:
I'm just curious ..

Say you have pictures of you and your other in compromising positions. What are the legal things with the pictures? If you both have them, are you free to do whatever you want? Or what?

Hmm.. I assume the illegal thing to do is to use the pictures to your advantage by blackmailing the people in the compromised positions in order to further your world domination scheme :devil:. :biggrin:

If you are in a public place where there is little or no expectation of privacy, you can be photographed and the photos can be sold. You have no legal rights to them.

Under 18

If you are under 18 (and not in a public place) you need to give permission to the photographer for the photo to be legal.

aychamo said:
I'm just curious ..

I think you rather should be questioning the morality.

Monique said:

As soon as you find a universal authority on morality, let me know.

Monique said:

Yes, no one's asked what is in the pictures. I guess we're all not sticky-beaks...

What's in the pictures?

(Only joking) :biggrin:

Monique said:

aychamo said:
As soon as you find a universal authority on morality, let me know.

I think Monique was saying aychamo should question the morality. Hopefully each of us has our own sense of what is morally right or wrong.

Right, he's asking whether someone can feel free to whatever with pictures. At the same time he acknowledges the pictures are of someone in a compromising position.

I don't think it is very moral to do anything with pictures of someone in a compromising position unless you've got the clear consent to do so.

Monique said:
Right, he's asking whether someone can feel free to whatever with pictures. At the same time he acknowledges the pictures are of someone in a compromising position.

I don't think it is very moral to do anything with pictures of someone in a compromising position unless you've got the clear consent to do so.

Thanks for the insight into your personal morality. What this has to do with the topic of this thread I'll never know.

I'm not sure the content of the pictures actually matters from a legal perspective, unless the acts portrayed in the photos would be considered illegal. In terms of ownership of the photos, I think it depends on whether you make a profit from their distribution or not. If you sold the photos to a publisher, or put them on a pay to view internet site, then you may owe part of the profits to the subject of the photos unless they have otherwise signed a waiver giving up their right to compensation. If you just pass out the photos to people for free, plaster them in the locker room, or hand them to the other party's boss, then while that may be a sleazy thing to do, I'm not sure there's much anyone can do about it as long as you shared the photos for free. I'm not totally sure about this though. There still may be something that can be done, for instance, if the person loses their job as a result and sues for damages due to the malicious action.

Related to Legal Implications of Sharing Intimate Photos: What You Need to Know

1. What are the legal rights of using pictures?

The legal rights of using pictures vary depending on the specific circumstances, but in general, using a picture without permission from the owner or without proper licensing can be considered copyright infringement. This means that the owner of the picture has the exclusive right to control how it is used and can take legal action against anyone who uses it without permission.

2. Do I need to obtain permission to use any picture I find on the internet?

Yes, you should always obtain permission before using any picture you find on the internet. Just because a picture is easily accessible online does not mean it is free to use. Many pictures are protected by copyright and using them without permission can result in legal consequences.

3. Can I use pictures for educational purposes without permission?

In some cases, using pictures for educational purposes may fall under fair use and not require permission. However, this can vary depending on the specific use and the source of the picture. It is always safest to obtain permission or use pictures that are labeled for reuse or in the public domain for educational purposes.

4. Can I use pictures in my own artwork without permission?

Using pictures in your own artwork without permission can also be considered copyright infringement. However, there may be exceptions if the original picture is significantly altered or transformed in your artwork. It is best to consult with a legal professional to determine if your use falls under fair use.

5. What should I do if I receive a copyright infringement notice for using a picture?

If you receive a copyright infringement notice for using a picture without permission, it is important to take it seriously and respond promptly. You may need to remove the picture from your website or artwork and potentially pay damages to the owner. It is best to seek legal advice in these situations to protect your rights and avoid further legal action.