Legendre Polynomial and Legendre Equation

In summary, the Legendre polynomial $P_l(x)$ on $\mathbb{R}$ satisfies the ordinary differential equation $(1-x^2) u''(x) -2x u'(x) +l(l+1) u(x)=0,$ as proven by $(l+1)$-fold differentiation of the first ODE $$(x^2-1)f'(x) -2lx f(x) = 0,$$ using the Leibniz General Product Rule Formula.
Fantini
Gold Member
MHB
Given $f(x) = (x^2-1)^l$ we know it satisfies the ordinary differential equation $$(x^2-1)f'(x) -2lx f(x) = 0.$$ The book defines the Legendre polynomial $P_l(x)$ on $\mathbb{R}$ by Rodrigues's formula $$P_l(x) = \frac{1}{2^l l!} \left( \frac{d}{dx} \right)^l (x^2-1)^l.$$ I'm asked to prove by $(l+1)$-fold differentiation of the first ODE that $P_l(x)$ satisfies Legendre's equation: $$(1-x^2) u''(x) -2x u'(x) +l(l+1) u(x)=0,$$ for a twice differentiable function $u: \mathbb{R} \to \mathbb{R}$.

Honestly I'm out of ideas. I have differentiated the ODE and obtained another relation, but I didn't see a way to use it. I don't know how to translate $(l+1)$-fold differentiation into something usable, nor know how to actually perform the $(l+1)$-fold differentiation if one were to brute-force it. Please guide me in the right direction. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Fantini,

This type of nail is best struck with the Leibniz General Product Rule Formula hammer:

Differentiation rules - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You'll want to use this formula to compute

\(\displaystyle \left(\frac{d}{dx} \right)^{l+1}\left[(x^{2}-1)f'(x)-2lxf(x) \right],\)

which we know is zero from the ODE. I can supply the details of this computation if you get stuck along they way, but I think you'll see how to proceed on your own. Let me know if anything is unclear/not quite right.

Related to Legendre Polynomial and Legendre Equation

What are Legendre Polynomials?

Legendre polynomials are a type of mathematical function that are used to solve differential equations and represent solutions to many physical problems. They are named after French mathematician Adrien-Marie Legendre.

What is the Legendre Equation?

The Legendre Equation is a second-order linear differential equation that is used to find solutions to Legendre polynomials. It takes the form of y'' - (n(n+1)/x^2)y = 0, where n is a constant.

What are the properties of Legendre Polynomials?

Legendre polynomials have many properties, including being orthogonal, having a recursive formula for calculating higher order polynomials, and being symmetric about the y-axis. They also have applications in physics, such as describing the shape of an electron's orbit in an atom.

How are Legendre Polynomials used in real-world applications?

Legendre polynomials are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. They are used to solve problems involving wave propagation, heat conduction, and quantum mechanics. They are also used in data analysis and signal processing.

What is the difference between Legendre Polynomials and Chebyshev Polynomials?

Legendre polynomials and Chebyshev polynomials are both types of orthogonal polynomials, but they have different properties and applications. Legendre polynomials are used for solving differential equations, while Chebyshev polynomials are used for numerical approximation and interpolation. They also have different recurrence relations and generating functions.