Length of Curve with Parametric Equations x=cost and y=sint in the xy-plane

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the length of a curve with parametric equations x=cost and y=sint, 0<=t=<pi, in the xy-plane. The initial attempt at a solution involved drawing the graphs and shading the area of intersection, but it was suggested to think in terms of arc length and use the equation S = ∫0^π√(dx^2 + dy^2)dt. The conversation also mentions the simplicity of the integral and a hint for solving the problem using a constant Z.
fk378

Homework Statement

In the xy-plane, the curve with parametric equations x=cost and y=sint, 0<=t=<pi, has what length?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the graphs x=cost and y=sint and shaded the area where the graphs intersect between 0 and pi. I don't know where to go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should have one graph, with (x, y) coordinates, where both x and y depend on t. That's what parametric equations are about. Try plotting about 10 points and see what you get.

fk378 said:

Homework Statement

In the xy-plane, the curve with parametric equations x=cost and y=sint, 0<=t=<pi, has what length?

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew the graphs x=cost and y=sint and shaded the area where the graphs intersect between 0 and pi. I don't know where to go from here.

The fact that you shaded in an area indicates that you are thinking in terms of area, not length along the curve that was suggested to you. You should have an equation for arc length to work with. Try this one:

[tex] S = \int_0 ^ \pi \sqrt{ dx^2 + dy^2} dt [/tex]

Now it's up to you to figure out dx and dy. I think you'll find the answer is very simple.

AEM said:
The fact that you shaded in an area indicates that you are thinking in terms of area, not length along the curve that was suggested to you. You should have an equation for arc length to work with. Try this one:

[tex] S = \int_0 ^ \pi \sqrt{ dx^2 + dy^2} dt [/tex]

Now it's up to you to figure out dx and dy. I think you'll find the answer is very simple.

I think you mean sqrt((dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2) for the integrand. But otherwise, good advice.

Dick said:
I think you mean sqrt((dx/dt)^2+(dy/dt)^2) for the integrand. But otherwise, good advice.

All well and good, but the parametric curve of this problem is simple enough that its length can be obtained without resorting to an integral.

Yeah, sure. But the integral is SO EASY. It's not that much easier to remember the formula than to just derive it, if you are doing calculus. It's that easy. Certainly easier than plotting out 10 points.

Hint: (Zcos t, Zsin t) where Z is a some arbitrary constant(in the set +R) represents a circle. In your case, substitute Z=1, 0<t<pi.

FAQ: Length of Curve with Parametric Equations x=cost and y=sint in the xy-plane

1. What is a parametric equation graph?

A parametric equation graph is a way to represent a curve or shape by using two or more equations that define the x and y coordinates of points on the curve. This allows for a more flexible and dynamic representation of the curve compared to traditional equations.

2. How do you plot a parametric equation graph?

To plot a parametric equation graph, you need to first choose a range of values for the parameter (usually denoted by t). Then, plug in these values into the equations for x and y, and plot the resulting points on a coordinate plane. Connecting these points will give you the graph of the parametric equation.

3. What is the purpose of using parametric equations?

Parametric equations are often used to represent more complex curves or shapes that cannot be easily expressed using a single equation. They are also useful in describing the motion of objects in physics or engineering, as the parameter can represent time.

4. How do you determine the direction of a parametric equation graph?

The direction of a parametric equation graph can be determined by looking at the values of the parameter t. If the value of t is increasing, then the graph is moving in a positive direction. If the value of t is decreasing, then the graph is moving in a negative direction.

5. Can parametric equations represent any type of curve?

Yes, parametric equations can represent a wide range of curves and shapes, including circles, ellipses, parabolas, and even more complex curves such as spirals. However, some curves may require more than two equations to be accurately represented.

Back