Length of Pendulum with Variables Only

In summary, the problem asks for the length of the pendulum rod, L, for a given period T. Using the equations for the period of a pendulum and the distance from the pivot to the center of mass, the equation can be simplified to a quadratic equation. However, there is no way to isolate L without more information.
efitzgerald21

Homework Statement

A grandfather clock has a pendulum that consists of a thin brass disk of radius r and mass m that is attached to a long thin rod of negligible mass. The pendulum swings freely about an axis perpendicular to the rod and through the end of the rod opposite the disk, as shown in the figure below. If the pendulum is to have a period T for small oscillations, what must be the rod length L. (Use any variable or symbol stated above along with the following as necessary: g for the acceleration of gravity.)
Picture: http://www.webassign.net/hrw/15-54.gif

Homework Equations

T=2*pi*sqrt(I/mgh)
h=distance from pivot to com, meaning h=L+r
I=(mr^2)/2+mh^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried to isolate L from the equation, but I can't isolate it. This is what I end up with:
T=2*pi*sqrt[((mr^2)/2+m(L+r)^2)/(mg(L+r))]
Cancelling m, I get T=2*pi*sqrt[((r^2)/2+(L+r)^2)/(g(L+r))]
After simplification, I get T=2*pi*sqrt[((r^2)/2+L^2+2Lr+r^2)/(gL+gr)]
There is no way to isolate L in this equation, I'm stuck.
I feel like there must be some piece of information I'm just not seeing, because otherwise this problem is impossible to solve.
Can you tell me what I'm missing here?

Physics news on Phys.org
This gets a simple quadratic equation if you square it (would be my first step to simplify it) and multiply it with the denominator.

FAQ: Length of Pendulum with Variables Only

1. What is a pendulum?

A pendulum is a weight suspended from a pivot point that can swing back and forth due to the force of gravity.

2. What are the variables that affect the length of a pendulum?

The variables that affect the length of a pendulum are the mass of the weight, the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass, and the gravitational force.

3. How does the length of a pendulum affect its period?

The length of a pendulum directly affects its period, which is the time it takes for one full swing. A longer pendulum will have a longer period than a shorter pendulum.

4. What is the formula for calculating the period of a pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period, L is the length of the pendulum, and g is the acceleration due to gravity.

5. How can the length of a pendulum be measured accurately?

The length of a pendulum can be measured accurately by using a ruler or measuring tape to measure the distance from the pivot point to the center of mass of the weight. It is important to ensure the measurement is taken from the point of suspension and not from the bottom of the weight.