Length of slab for infinite temperature

In summary, an explosive is being stored in large slabs with a protective sheath and the rate of heat generation within the explosive is temperature-dependent. The condition for an explosion is given by a formula involving the overall heat transfer coefficient, thickness of the slab, and other variables. Using Fourier's Law and assuming a uniform temperature within the slab, the equation can be simplified to determine the slab thickness.
gfd43tg
Gold Member

Homework Statement

An explosive is to be stored in large slabs of thickness 2L clad on both sides with a protective sheath. The rate at which heat is generated within the explosive is temperature-dependent and can be approximated by the linear relation ##\dot Q_{gen} = a + b(T - T_{\infty})##, where ##T_{\infty}## is the prevailing ambient air temperature. If the overall heat transfer coefficient between the slab surface and the ambient air is U, show that the condition for an explosion (or the temperature inside the slab to become infinite) is ##L = (\frac {k}{b})^{1/2} tan^{-1} \Big [ \frac {U}{(kb)^{1/2}} \Big ]##. Determine the slab thickness if k = 0.9 W/m K , U = 0.2 W/m2 K, a = 60 W/m3 K, and b=6.0 W/m3 K.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

This is an extremely strangely worded problem in my opinion. I can't tell if the overall heat transfer coefficient is only counting for convective heat transfer, since it is saying that it is between the slab surface the the ambient air, so this so called ''overall'' heat transfer coefficient is ignoring conduction in the slab. I am also assuming this explosive is just continuously exploding, hence a steady state process, which also seems very stupid. I don't think it should be steady state, because the generation of heat depends on the temperature, which depends on the position, hence there is a non-uniform generation of heat.

[tex] \frac {dE}{dt} = \dot Q_{in} - \dot Q_{out} + \dot Q_{gen} [/tex]
I am saying that no heat is flowing it, and steady state, so ##\dot Q_{out} = \dot Q_{gen}##. However, there is conduction in the slab whose value of ##\dot Q## is continuously changing.

I know ##\dot Q = UA(T_{s} - T_{\infty})##, where ##T_{s}## is the temperature of the surface of the slab. I would like to assume that the temperature is uniform in the slab, such that the ##T## term in the equation for the generation of heat is equal to ##T_{s}##, and also I don't know what the Area term would be since no information is given on the area.

Then equating the two, I get
[tex] a + b(T - T_{\infty}) = UA(T_{s} - T_{\infty})[/tex]

Anyways, I can't see anyway to equate these so that I get some crazy inverse tangent function. I think it somehow comes out of the integral

[tex] \int \frac {dx}{a^2 + x^2} = \frac {1}{a} tan^{-1} \Big (\frac {x}{a} \Big ) [/tex]
Of course I can know what a and x should be to fit them to the equation, just that I don't know how I will get them in that form to be able to integrate it. I would need my integral to look like this

[tex] \int \frac {d(\frac {U}{k})^2}{\frac {b}{k} + (\frac {U}{k})^2} [/tex]

How the heck will I ever get something like this??
I suppose as ##T \rightarrow \infty##, I will get
[tex] a + b(T - T_{\infty}) = UA(T - T_{\infty}) [/tex]
since a is negligible, then it is canceled and the two temperature terms are cancelled, leaving
[tex] A = \frac {b}{U} [/tex]
So I put this into Fourier's Law
[tex] \dot Q = -k \Big ( \frac {b}{U} \Big ) \frac {dT}{dL} [/tex]
But I still don't see how to get it into that form I need it to be in.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I solved it, what a tedious math exercise...

Related to Length of slab for infinite temperature

What is the concept of "Length of slab for infinite temperature"?

The concept of "Length of slab for infinite temperature" refers to the length of a slab of material when it is heated to an infinite temperature. It is a theoretical calculation used in thermodynamics to understand the behavior of materials at extremely high temperatures.

Why is it important to study the length of slab for infinite temperature?

Studying the length of slab for infinite temperature allows scientists to understand how materials behave at extreme temperatures, which can have practical applications in fields such as materials science, engineering, and astrophysics. It also helps to further our understanding of thermodynamics and the laws of thermodynamics.

How is the length of slab for infinite temperature calculated?

The length of slab for infinite temperature is calculated using the Stefan-Boltzmann law, which relates the amount of thermal radiation emitted by a material to its temperature. The calculation involves taking into account the material's specific heat capacity, surface area, and emissivity.

Can the length of slab for infinite temperature be physically measured?

No, the length of slab for infinite temperature is a theoretical concept and cannot be physically measured. It is used as a theoretical calculation to understand the behavior of materials at extremely high temperatures.

How does the length of slab for infinite temperature differ from the length of slab at normal temperatures?

The length of slab for infinite temperature is significantly longer than the length of slab at normal temperatures. This is due to the fact that as a material's temperature increases, its particles vibrate more and take up more space, causing the material to expand. At infinite temperature, the material would have expanded to its maximum length.